(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kitchen sink plumbing - OK solution??

Default Kitchen sink plumbing - OK solution??

Hi all,

First time poster. I had to get a little creative with plumbing the kitchen sink after replacing the counter-top and sink this weekend. A picture of my solution is below. Is there anything I should be concerned about with this set-up? The sinks and dishwasher appear to drain fine. Any code infractions here?

The height/location of the waste pipe to the wall is horrible (1950's house, has 1 1/2 inch copper waste-pipe through the wall and behind the cabinents - the waste pipe is high and also is situated directly below the left sink). I do not want to move the waste-pipe. I did not re-install the garbage disposal because the outlet would be 1-2" lower than the wastepipe.

Without a disposal, I had to drain the dishwasher straight to the drain pipe. I wanted it to drain above the p-trap so I put in a 4-way connector and used a dishwasher connection at the top (which is capped).

I know there is quite a bit of water that will sit in the pipe between the wastepipe and the 4-way connector. Is this an issue?

Thank you all for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Remove the p-trap and get rid of the 90 bend pushing it down.
    The trap arm comes straight out from the wall, not pointed down with a 90 bend.

Raise the p-trap to the bottom of the 4-way connector and try to get a horizontal run out of the trap to the waste pipe? The waste pipe opening is at a bad angle - I added the two 90's in order to line it up correctly ( pivot the joints). Maybe I can get lucky and it will line up right. Thanks for the advice - will take a closer look tonight!

You have an ingenious system installed by someone with a lot of fittings and time on his hands. The way the DW is connected there is no "air gap" to prevent back siphonae into the dishwasher.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber