(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Well pump questions and chlorination levels

Default Well pump questions and chlorination levels

Hello all,

I have a few questions for someone smarter than myself.
    I just chlorinated my well which is about 150 ft deep. The normal static line is at 75 ft according to the health department report when the well was drilled.
    We had the rotten egg smell come back again and even after clipping the anode rode in the new hot water tank, the smell persisted.
    I had to use 2 gallons of pool quality chlorine which is 12.5% concentration in order to get the water to smell of chlorine. Using a tester I use for the pool, I found the level was over 100 PPM. I did not intend it to get that high but next time I will only use 1 - 1.5 gallons.
    My question is this: 1 does the high levels of chlorine hurt the well pump seals or even any inside the house. Also, I am in the draining phase and was wondering, can I make the pump run constantly without harming it.
    The water came out black then orange and is now just slightly cloudy. After the water cleared up I now have the hose going into my 30k gal pool to kill 2 birds with one stone. (shock the pool and raise the level of water) Any cloudiness in the pool as a result is easy to correct. (I hate waste and want to reuse the water)
    It is going to be a long day getting the levels back to zero but do not know if I should crank the pump on and let it go for an hour or do what I am doing which is on 10 minutes, rest for 5.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    p.s. Does anyone have an 'eliminator' installed in their system?

Strong chlorine works like acid on your pump, pipe, and fittings. Get it pumped out as soon as possible.

It is best for the pump to run continuously, as long as you don’t pump the well dry.

I was going to suggest you try one of those Sulfur Eliminators. It would probably work good in your application.

That is what I was afraid of. Is there an industry standard for PPM in this application that I can shoot for in the future? The pool requires 3-5 PPM to remain clean and healthy. I assume the well would be the same.