Iron filter refurbishment?

Users who are viewing this thread

JMTFARMS

Reaction score
We have a Macclean iron filter that is 20+ years old. Media has never been changed. Controller/timer has gears stripped and is in need of a rebuild or replacement. Tank seems to be in good condition (looking from outside). Filter has not been used for over a year. Backwash function has been done manually for 10+ years (using pliers and screwdriver to position piston). Hydrocharger leaks and is dirty but still functions.

I guess we should replace media and controller.
Are parts or replacement controller still available?
Is it worth rebuilding (vs. new filter)?

Ours was a model NF1001M
Thanks for any input.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
D you really want to rebuild a 20 year old valve and rebel the tank? If its in as bad condition as you describe your best bet is to replace the entire unit.

JMTFARMS

Reaction score
Priced a new controller at $300 several years ago. Media replacement and labor rough estimate at $200. Entire new syis probably $1100+. $500 to $600+ savings is making me consider rebuild.

What I don't know is if the tank, riser, bypass valve, and other parts will hold up long enough to rebuild.
Also don't know if I can still find the Macclean controller.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tank should be fine. The distributor tube should be replaced to match the new valve. McClain is still in business. Mcclain used Autotrol IIRC but it might have been Fleck too, either way though you can get a new Fleck head of your choice, and I recommend a metered valve like the Fleck 7000SXT that should fit your tank. I say should fit because tanks aint all the same. The new valve will most likely require a new bypass although you can fabricate one if you have the skills. You will want to take your old head off and measure the tank. Essentially though when you get done all you save is the cost of the resin tank.

JMTFARMS

Reaction score
The cover on our controller said it is a Macclean. Manual just calls it a NF series Chem-Free Iron Removal System. It was manufactured by Chemical Engineering Corp.. I suspect it was sold under more than one name. Web site for Macclean and Chemical Engineering Corp. are no longer active.

Found an ad for a new Fleck 5600 w/tank, media, and bypass for $439.00 w/free shipping. That sounds like a good deal to me. Ad is from Discount Water Softeners 176 Detroit Street Suite #13 Cary, IL 60013. Can anyone recommend this company?

The Fleck 5600 looks very similar to our controller. Our controller had metal on plastic gears that did not last long. Is the Fleck 5600 better made?

Also what benefits would the Fleck 7000 SXT have?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
Found an ad for a new Fleck 5600 w/tank, media, and bypass for $439.00 w/free shipping. That sounds like a good deal to me. Ad is from Discount Water Softeners 176 Detroit Street Suite #13 Cary, IL 60013. Can anyone recommend this company?

I ordered their "Eliminator" from them, and it works great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks