Creaking wall hung

Users who are viewing this thread

Manatee

Reaction score
Our house was built in 1986. It has a Am Standard wall hung tank type elongated toilet in one bathroom. When someone sits on it there is a creaking noise from the wall. It can be heard throughout the house. Here in extremely dry Arizona wood gets very dried out. It appears that it will be necessary to tear into the wall to fix it. In that case I would also like to raise it to comfort/chair/ADA height.

Has anyone else had this situation? Any advice?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I doubt that this old AS toilet is a low flow design. Even if it a low flow, it would be one of the very early models which were mostly dogs. (All makes) It may be time for you to consider a new toilet. I do think you are correct in assuming you will have to tear into the wall. Probably a fairly major job, maybe more than DIY, and this would make a new low flow toilet even more sensible. I'd suggest looking at Toto toilets.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The American Standard wall hung uses a standard four bolt pattern.
The hanger secures on each side by bolts, hopefully through a doubled stud on both sides, though on a 2x6 or 2x8 wall they may have used one and it worked.
They can make some noise when sitting down. Sometimes.

If you remove the wallboard behind it, it is possible to cut and move the plumbing up 2 or three inches. It's kind of like doing it all over again. I have seen some that would have been fairly easy, and some that would have been a bear.

New wall hung toilets are
American Standard Glenwall with Flushmate
Gerber Maxwell wall hung.

glenwall_small.jpg

American Standard Glenwall

Last edited:

flump

Reaction score
Wall hung toilet Gerberit Maxwell

Been learning from the Love forums for a couple of years & now have a question:
Any problems with a Gerber Maxwell wall hung toilet?

Searching Craigslist I found this notice: Toilet AFWALL EL 1.6, wall hung only. Enlogated, white. Reg. priced at $97.00. Found out it is a salvage store with a pallet of these, and the picture posted matches that of Gerber Maxwell wall hung toilet. So for a 2 hr drive, I can get a new one for $20.

This will do fine in my 1960's home. Plus i can put a tank-top sink like SinkPositive on it for kids to use. Assume I can get a mounting bracket.
BUT it will not be a bargain if this toilet has similar issues to the Amer Std Glenwall, ie, leaky and noisy. Recommendations?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My search for AFWALL EL 1.6 brings up this
American Standard commercial bowl.
afwall_bowl.jpg

This is a bowl only and needs a flushometer with 1" water supply. Not the 1/2" that a toilet normally uses.
The Gerber Maxwell wall-hung is a new product this year. If someone is selling new $400 dollar toilets for $20 that "would" be a steal.

We install and sell quite a few of the American Standard Glenwall toilets. We get them to work, and once installed and working seem to be pretty solid.

flump

Reaction score
My search for AFWALL EL 1.6 brings up this
American Standard commercial bowl.

Checked with person who posted bowl for sale on Craigslist, asked them to look on the box for exact model numbers so I can order a carrier. Also to check the tank for brand as Gerber will be stamped inside. (Gerber requires a Zurn Indus carrier, which is more complicated/costly for me to get.)

They called back -- model number posted is right. Amer Std commerical is what is for sale. Gerber Maxwell photo is just their choice / guess of images loosely provided.

So, circled back to order my first choice, Toto Maris wall hung. & backordered new Grohe Rapid SL carrier for use in 4" wall. Supposed to be quieter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks