supplemental heat - bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

pkj

Reaction score
any advise on a bathroom exhaust fan w/heater in it? or is heated flooring a better option for a basement bathroom?

flooring is way more spendy than an exhaust fan w/heater, but does the fan/heater work?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
An exhaust fan with heat, on the ceiling, is not my favorite....because it is on the ceiling, and heat rises! I like small electric wall heaters, but they limit where you can hang towels, and are dicey if you have young-uns. I like in-floor heat, but that is a big job in the basement.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jimbo pretty well sums it up. I have a ceiling heat/light/vent combo in a new bathroom in my basement, and while it works OK, it doesn't provide the heat of the in wall heater in my master bath. I can hang towels on a rack above the heater, but I have to avoid letting them hang too low. The in wall is cheaper and easier to install and replace than the ceiling unit.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
An exhaust fan heater is a bit oxymoronic. You are exhausting the air from right where it is hottest; losing heat in a big way while standing there drying off.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
why not just run a supply line from your hvac into the batroom. if you have forced air run a 4 or 5" line from your trunk. if you have baseboard heat run a loop thru the bathroom. if you can't afford the electric floor mats get some slippers.

did you hear me that time? :confused:

pkj

Reaction score
sulconst2 said:
why not just run a supply line from your hvac into the batroom. if you have forced air run a 4 or 5" line from your trunk. if you have baseboard heat run a loop thru the bathroom. if you can't afford the electric floor mats get some slippers.

did you hear me that time? :confused:

i did! hvac is an option (connect into existing), however its on the ceiling, where everyone seems to say "its not a good option" any other ideas???

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is nothing that says you can't run an air duct down through the wall and have it exit near the floor, if that is an option. Yes, pushing hot air down isn't as efficient, but it works.

When I did my remodeling, I wa primarily interested in improving the a/c performance, and I move my floor registers up the wall. I added in-floor heating, so the air ducts in the winter are a backup.

Radiant panels are nice...some can be combined with towel heaters. Some of these can be installed in the ceiling and are hard to detect. Radiant heat, as opposed to convective, is effective in almost any position (although in the floor is most pleasant). A radiant panel may not need as much in wattage as one designed to heat the air convectively in order for you to feel comfortable. It tends to be focused, though, and if you go out of the "beam" sof to speak, you can feel cold because it is not heating the air much. Depending on where you live, though (in the NE, electricity is particularly expensive) it may not be the most ecconomical. These can be put on timers, though, and that can help if your schedule is consistant. I put in a towel warmer in my bathroom remodel, but don't count on it for heat. Other designs and models can provide some significant heat, though. The one I had only has 165W, and is thermostatically controlled so it doesn't scorch the towel. Left to free radiate, it definately gets hotter and will run all of the time.

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I put one of the exhaust fan/light/heaters in and it works great. I think it was a Nutone/Braun model. It does blow heat and exhaust at the same time. Think of having a wall heater and an exhaust fan running at the same time (which by the way is also an option) Thing I like best is that this is a basement bathroom and not used all the time, I have the heater on a timer, the exhaust fan separate switch and light separate. So only gets heat when needed and the heater works very fast, it can be hooked up to a thermostat though.
One wish I have is that I would have spent the extra about 50% more for the most quiet version of this product. Get the quiet one it's worth it.

pkj

Reaction score
jdkimes said:
I put one of the exhaust fan/light/heaters in and it works great. I think it was a Nutone/Braun model. It does blow heat and exhaust at the same time. Think of having a wall heater and an exhaust fan running at the same time (which by the way is also an option) Thing I like best is that this is a basement bathroom and not used all the time, I have the heater on a timer, the exhaust fan separate switch and light separate. So only gets heat when needed and the heater works very fast, it can be hooked up to a thermostat though.
One wish I have is that I would have spent the extra about 50% more for the most quiet version of this product. Get the quiet one it's worth it.

thanks for the info, i have decided on a fan with heater, like you said its a basement bathroom that doesnt get used as much....do you know what the max feet is for venting outside my house? i'd like to go out the back (approx 18 feet) the front would be 6-7 feet....or would i need to check on code for MN?

JDkimes

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm no pro but I'm not sure there is a code for max length of a bath fan vent, but with one that long I'd do a couple things.
1. Use smooth sheet metal duct (not the accordion flex-type)
2. Limit angles, elbows etc.
3. Make sure you insulate it the whole length to limit the condensation. And you might plan on some condensation forming and "pooling" in some low spots or angling it so it drains out

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the venting requirement are included in the installation instructions. Common sense says to keep any vent as short and straight as possible, and the smoother the innards are the better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks