2" shower drain change in direction

Users who are viewing this thread

AnimalHungry

Reaction score
Hi - this is my first post here, and plumbing is totally new to me, so go easy :)

As part of my bathroom remodel I'm installing a dual shower with a 2" drain. I want to use the existing 3" drain from the w/c that I removed and have currently capped off. The issue is that my new shower drain will be coming from 180 degrees in the opposite direction (from the left on the photo). I though the easiest thing to do (which may or may not be the best option) would be to chop off my 3" end cap and replace it with a wye and one or two bends to change the direction back towards the new shower drain per my (terribly drawn) annotations on the photo. I'd then cap off the wye on the right side.

I understand that anything more than a 135 degree horizontal bend requires a cleanout (which I of course want to avoid as this will be under the tiled floor), but if I use a wye angled 45 degrees off vertical and then a bend or two would that enable me to avoid having to add a cleanout?

I'm also open to any other suggestions.

Cheers
Simon
Proposed DWV for shower.jpg

AnimalHungry

Reaction score
Looking at the photo, I have absolutely NO IDEA what you are trying to do, although it does not look "legal".

Ha ha! Thanks for looking though. I thought long and hard about this last night and have decided to cut out the 3" wye and replace it with a new one pointing towards the new shower drain (180 degrees from what it is now). Then I'll connect two new 2" 90 degree street bends on top for the vent. I think this is by far the more elegant solution than trying to make the shower waste do a 180 degree switchback.

I'll post a photo of what I'm gonna do when I have all the new fittings.

Cheers
Simon

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't know how the toilet was vented, but the shower will need a wye fitting for the vent on the horizontal within five feet of the trap.
The vent comes off the top of the trap arm.

AnimalHungry

Reaction score
I don't know how the toilet was vented, but the shower will need a wye fitting for the vent on the horizontal within five feet of the trap.
The vent comes off the top of the trap arm.

Thanks Terry. The toilet was vented by the 2" pipe you see in the picture that connects to the top of the 3" down pipe. Since that will be less than 5' away from my shower trap I thought it would be good for code. I'm getting the fittings today so I'll do a dry run and take some photos and post them up here.

Thanks again for your advice!

Cheers
S

AnimalHungry

Reaction score
So this photo better shows what I'm planning on doing now. Ignore the 1.5" pipe (it'll be a 2" pipe), and I'm missing a 2" to 3" bushing and the proper 2" trap, but the principles are all there. I've annotated one plan view photo with the fittings resting next to where I intend to fit them. The other photo is just to show a side elevation of the new fittings.

Does this look good? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks
SimonProposed DWV for shower 2.jpgProposed DWV for shower 3.jpg

AnimalHungry

Reaction score
I hope the second shower is not connecting to the "bottom" of the trap which is possible since we do not know which direction the drain is flowing.

There will only be one shower drain, although there will be two shower valves/heads - hence the 2" waste pipe to cope with the flow from two showers into the one drain.

Cheers
Simon

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The vent needs to rise vertically (within 45 degrees of vertical) until 6" above the flood rim or 42"? above the floor. It can't lay flat.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
I thought long and hard about this last night and have decided to cut out the 3" wye and replace it with a new one pointing towards the new shower drain

I don't see a 3" wye anywhere..

Attachments

• Proposed%20DWV%20for%20shower%203.jpg
    Proposed%20DWV%20for%20shower%203.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,160
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks