Moen from HD vs. Moen from Dealer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
My policy has always been that any faucet I install from the Home depot (or Lowes) gets a rear view mirror guarantee. However, today I purchased a Moen faucet from my supply house, then stopped by the Home depot to get something unrelated and saw the same faucet I just purchased from the supply house, only $80 cheaper. I opened the box, and it appears to be the same faucet. Even same SKU. I don't mind paying a bit more to support my local business, but dang, 80 bucks!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
My policy has always been that any faucet I install from the Home depot (or Lowes) gets a rear view mirror guarantee. However, today I purchased a Moen faucet from my supply house, then stopped by the Home depot to get something unrelated and saw the same faucet I just purchased from the supply house, only $80 cheaper. I opened the box, and it appears to be the same faucet. Even same SKU. I don't mind paying a bit more to support my local business, but dang, 80 bucks!

Must be the difference in the Import Fee.

I did notice the finish is different on some of them, But you would think the SKU would be different.

I over pay here at my local supply, Just because I like to support them and see them stay in business. You can talk to them and they know what you are talking about.

Thank You for Your Support.

Have a Great Day.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Maybe you need a different dealer. If I paid $80.00 more for a Moen faucet from my dealer, I would have had to pay about $20.00 from HD and that is not going to happen.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Plumbing supply houses cater to pros, and when a retail customer comes in, the prices are often different (if the stuff does have prices on it, the pro often gets a decent discount you as a DIY'er won't). HD caters to the DIY'er, and does not have a discount for pros (generally). So, depending on what you're buying, who you are, the price can differ. Also, often, HD and Lowes package things differently from what is at a plumbing supply store, often with different part numbers. When you find something with exactly the same part number, it is probably the same thing. Proprietary part numbers and supplies, who knows how they may differ. You can't go by the product name, only the specific part number. Rumor has it that to get the price, the big box stores have the supplier eliminate some of the QA/QC steps that go into the wholesale market. Since most of the stuff of the assembly line is good (or they'd go out of business), you probably get something good. The stuff sold at the wholesale market would not be accepted by a pro if it was not good, or perfect...a DIY'er may not recognize it isn't perfect, and accept what may have been a reject to the wholesale market.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Maybe it is a question of semantics. When you said "my supply house", I assumed you were a contractor who was buying for installation in a customer's building. IF you ae a DIY, then the supply house had better charge you more, or I would cease doing business with them. IF they sell it to you at the same price I pay, then they are my competitors, because it would control MY price to the customer, and I never intend to sell anything for the same price I paid for it. Reputable plumbing wholesalers do NOT really want the retail customers because it creates additional paper work for them.

DonL

Reaction score
Reputable plumbing wholesalers do NOT really want the retail customers because it creates additional paper work for them.

I am not sure what is worse, filling the tax exempt paperwork, Or charging Tax.

I know paying Tax is a PITA for a Dealer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I am not sure what is worse, filling the tax exempt paperwork, Or charging Tax.

I know paying Tax is a PITA for a Dealer.
Or, you could move to NH which does not have a general sales tax on merchandise (only on entertainment and restaurants).

DonL

Reaction score
Or, you could move to NH which does not have a general sales tax on merchandise (only on entertainment and restaurants).

That would be nice.

Texas is wanting to put a State Tax on any Internet sale.

I want to know where all of the Texas Lotto taxes are going, they were said to go to the schools and teachers first. I do not see that happening.

NH is too Cold for me, just to save on sales tax.

DougB

Reaction score
I have worked on several large MRP and ERP systems. Many larger customers have their own part numbers. I've had to create crossreference tables for the our part number vs the customers part number - same item - different part numbers for different customers. In dealing with China -unless Moen or any other American company actually owns the factory and manages the factory - they have little control in what they get. The Chinese can decide to use different materials / sub suppliers / etc - and you don't know until some customer starts b*tching about the quality. My clients are mostly electronic parts importers - so they can do QA testing fairly easily - but doing QA on a completely assembled faucet? When we do send test results / photo's to China, we get back the most hilarious, busted up, incomprehensible Engrish you ever seen. We have been sold out.

It's my opinion that American companies, that have their products manufactured in China, are nothing more than distribution companies, since they have no control in the acutal production of the product. I'm quite satisfied with the Grohe and HansGrohe items that I've purchased for two bathrooms, over the past 5 years. I buy them on the internet - since wholesale houses in Minneapolis, don't even try to carry their products.

As for the big box stores - I guess you can put that stuff in a rental - not in your own home.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote3; I want to know where all of the Texas Lotto taxes are going, they were said to go to the schools and teachers first.

They are probably doing like Arizona did. THey figured out how much money the lottery would generate, then deducted that amount from their appropriation, meaning the schools got exactly the same, or less, and the state got a "bonus" in the general fund.

Murphy625

Reaction score
quote3; I want to know where all of the Texas Lotto taxes are going, they were said to go to the schools and teachers first.

They are probably doing like Arizona did. THey figured out how much money the lottery would generate, then deducted that amount from their appropriation, meaning the schools got exactly the same, or less, and the state got a "bonus" in the general fund.

I hope that doesn't actually surprise you... Its all a scam.

I think anyone who plays the lotto is a fool... You're VOLUNTARILY giving your money to some rich person to do with as they please in the one in a billion (literally) chance that you MIGHT win less than 1/2 of the money being advertised. LOL...

It was not surprising to me that our tax dollars funded a free bail-out for a bunch of super rich folks.. heck, there are so many people out there already giving their money voluntarily to them.

The lotto is an excellent indicator showing how gullible and stupid our society has become... Only a person with absolutely no real grasp of math or familiarity of our political system would give up their money to play lotto.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks