(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: New well, new pump

Default New well, new pump

Hello, I am setting a pump soon and have a few questions. 500'well static is 261, 200psi poly drop pipe. 2 bath house, young family of 4, off grid house. My question is possibly irrelevant but here goes. I am looking at a goulds 7gs10 pump, it seems like good quality name brand pump. Now, I'd prefer to have a 3 wire Franklin motor instead of the centri pro that comes with the standard 7gs10. I would also prefer to have a cap start cap run control box but I do not believe Franklin offers such in a 1 hp motor rating. Centri pro does. I would switch to a 1.5 hp motor however a 600' run of #10 is limiting the motor size I can use. Should I even bother worrying about the motor and just use the centri pro? I know squat about well pumps and who makes the best. What kind of efficiencies are gained by using a cscr motor and controller over just a cap start? What I would like and what I can get are again, two different things but maybe someone here can shed some insight on the possibilities. Thanks.

A 7GS10 will produce 8 GPM from 260’ and 40 PSI. If the water level pulls down to 400’, you will only be getting 4 GPM at 40 PSI.

Franklin motors are now made in Mexico, and have been cheapened up so much in the last few years that I am not sure they are any better than others.

I also prefer three wire motors but, the cap run control box is only going to make it about 6% more efficient, the same as power factor correction usually does. This is not going to make much difference unless you use the well to feed a heat pump or lots of irrigation. For the small amount of water used by just a house, the 6% won’t even be noticeable.

Thanks for the reply valveman. I don't think I will worry about changing the motor. It seems the selection of pumps for 1 hp rating and depth are pretty limited. 8gpm is the best I could find in both the gould 7gs10 and a 7 gpm F&W Commander (franklin motor). The well is going to feed the house only so I may get by with 8gpm. Are there better choices in regards to pumps or are these the standards?

That is probably about the best you can do. I think that will do fine for just the house.

For off-grid why not go with the grundfos sq flex?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Wellman View Post
    For off-grid why not go with the grundfos sq flex?
    Cost, primarily. I can set 3 goulds pumps for the price of 1 grundfos. Or, just set 1 and use the savings to pay toward electricity. Actually, I just got a 'lightly used' goulds pump for 50 bucks so that's going down the hole first. We need 230v at the house anyways so another 230v load will not be a problem.

What is your power source? Panels, generator, or ???

DIY Senior Member VAWellDriller's Avatar

I've always been a Goulds dealer, and that's still what I primarily sell, but a local distributor started selling F&W, so I've tried a few....had great success....I've only bought the elite series, but check out the pump curves. Same flow series, same hp the F&W will hold up longer on the curve and pump way more water than the Goulds. They also have Franklin motors.