GE water heater controller voltage

Users who are viewing this thread

KeithR

Reaction score
I have a 40 gal GE "Profile" "Smart" water heater, about 5 to 7 years old.
Trying to trouble shoot shortage of HW,and discover voltage to the top element is 240v, but the bottom element is only getting 120V.
Do I need to replace the top controller which feeds to the bottom one or is it meant to do this?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I have a 40 gal GE "Profile" "Smart" water heater, about 5 to 7 years old.
Trying to trouble shoot shortage of HW,and discover voltage to the top element is 240v, but the bottom element is only getting 120V.
Do I need to replace the top controller which feeds to the bottom one or is it meant to do this?

What is your Model Number ?

Good Luck.

KeithR

Reaction score
I think I need to study it a bit closer before jumping to conclusions. My first observation was with wires disconnected from both elements. I drained and re-fillled the tank.
Now with the top element connected, there is zero voltage at the bottom element. Does the controller cycle back and forth so only one element is on at a time?

DonL

Reaction score
I think I need to study it a bit closer before jumping to conclusions. My first observation was with wires disconnected from both elements. I drained and re-fillled the tank.
Now with the top element connected, there is zero voltage at the bottom element. Does the controller cycle back and forth so only one element is on at a time?

Normally, Yes it does work that way.

Did you have power off when you drained it ?

KeithR

Reaction score
OH yes!
I just checked resistance. Top is 20K ohms & bottom is 7K ohms. (They are supposed to be the same!)
Both are infinity to ground.

KeithR

Reaction score
So two new elements and we have hot again! Thanks for comments Rocket Scientist

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
An element will ONLY register 120 v. when it is burned out. It also does not heat when that happens so only the upper element operates to heat the water at the top of the tank, giving you a short supply.

DonL

Reaction score
An element will ONLY register 120 v. when it is burned out. It also does not heat when that happens so only the upper element operates to heat the water at the top of the tank, giving you a short supply.

Sounds like both elements were Open. If the posted readings are correct.

That is a bit strange, unless power was applied with no water in the tank. Or one element has been bad for awhile.

Last edited:

kahnman

Reaction score
Hi Keith. I am having the same problem with my exact same model water heater. I did a search of the model on the GE support and parts site and no results. Do you still have the element part numbers and where you ordered them from? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks