Latest Water Results..now how to treat ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brokersdad

Reaction score
I just had my raw water tested and the results are the following. I currently have a 1.5 cft fine mesh resin tank but it's about 10 years old and isn't handling the water very well. I have a 1.5 bath house, 3 ppl living in the house and 2 horses (in barn :D ) for pets. We do have a corner wirlpool tub but seem to opt for the stand up shower more often. I have an Autotrol head on the softner now but was thinking of switching to a metered head when I get the softner rebedded. Just wondering as to what would be the best resin to use again..fine mesh, Purloite ST-60 or another type? I also have an iron filter and an air injector I can hook back up before my softner if needed, I used it on my old well with much higher iron. I'd really like to stay away from chlorine injection if possible and am willing to sacrafice some of the efficency and do some maitenance myslef if needed . Note* I do have rotten egg smell. Anyone have any suggestions :confused: Thank you for any advice

(All resukts are mg/L)

Ph 7.04
Chloride 78
Hardness 153
Iron 4.96
Magnesium 7.15
Manganese 0.23
Sodium 18.49
Sulphate 29.8

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see no reason for fine mesh resin, standard mesh will do just fine.
Changing the valve to a metered design will save you water and salt and is certainly a worth while thing to do.
Your iron is over the threshold that I like to see going through your softener but, if you are vigilant about running Iron Out or
similar products through the system regularly you might get away with it. If you already have air injection then I suggest cleaning the equipment up and especially the piping from the injector to the tank and go ahead and put it back in service. You can install shutoffs and unions so the bit of pipe can be removed and easily cleaned when needed.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rotton egg smell. oh the joy. Do you get in in both the hot and cold water?

Brokersdad

Reaction score
Yes i do have it in both. I have 2 new hot water tanks and I left the Anode rods in so i'm sure thats contributing. I mentioned the iron filter for this reason. The well I was on before had really bad iron (19ppm) and also smell, bad Ph. A company installed it and it cleared my water up very well for quite a while but as you know only for so long, that had 1 cft of birm and they also added Pyrolox. Now that I drilled a new well, I was thinking since it's sitting there in a corner not being used why not help the softner out a bit and rebed the IF with some new birm and use it. I read birm isn't recomended for rotten egg smell, but that's what was used before along with the aerator and it seemed to deal with it , just the iron caught up with the sysytem. Thanks for the reply btw Tom

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks