Solid Seal on Septic Tank when the lid is removed

Users who are viewing this thread

mrodz

Reaction score
Hi all!!

We had a slow draining toilet and water backed up into the shower so we opened the lids on the septic tank.
These are screw top pvc lids. One was absolutly solid, like cement had been thrown in, the other full to the brim. Its been raining a lot so we've been out of the house and not using water to see how long it might take to drain into the drain field. Well, when we went to check.... now both are sealed, we hit it with a hammer and NOTHING, Just SOLID. Has this ever happened to anyone?

mrodz

Reaction score
When I hit it, it sounds kind of hollow, like maybe its not that thick, not sure I'm think just to keep pounding on it and see if it cracks or pops out or something, like a plug. If not maybe Acid?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Are the solids in tank 1 or tank 2 ?

Some places do not allow you to work on your own system.

You have to pay a Fee.

#2 should go into tank 1 and #1 should go into tank 2.

If they are both full then you need a Pump Truck, and need to see why it is not working properly.

Some 2 and 3 tank units water the lawn, and can have a pump failure. But most of them require monthly maintenance, by a law enforcement collector.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

mrodz

Reaction score
We built the house from nothing just 4 years ago, we have all the plans on the septic system and we kept it visible and easily accessible. Well, turns out that it's like a hard plug of debris forming and gettin solid when the levels rose. It got stuck in the tube leading to the pvc lid and just hardened up real quick. I banged with a mallet and a crow bar til it broke, tried not to let too much fall in. After that the mostly liquid side seems to be draining pretty quick and we have a few good days of sun hopefully. I haven't gotten a good look at the other side yet. Plan for now is to see how much it keeps draining and not let too much water down the drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks