Garbage Disposal Electrical Install

Users who are viewing this thread

dcf1999

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the long post. My tenants want a garbage disposal. I agreed to put one in for them. I don’t have any electrical outlets under sink so I need to add an outlet and switch. It'ss going to be a dedicated 15A circuit. I figure I have the following options:

1. Do it the “Clean†way. Cut a hole in the plaster above counter and below sink for old work boxes then fish new 14-2 wire behind walls to make it work. Seems the most time consuming but seems like the right way to do it. Problem is, there are horizontal studs in the way of fishing wire up to where the new switch would be. I have one of those really long flexible drill bits that would allow me to drill through the horizontal studs and fish the wire up.

2. Install two handy boxes under the cabinet. One in the back (attached to plaster wall) for the single outlet, and one in the front (by the door) for the switch. I’d then run 14-2 up through the floor / bottom of cabinet, into the outlet box. From the outlet box, I’d run MC to the switch box.

3. Install a handy box under cabinet for the outlet (single) and installing an old work box in the “fake drawer†part of the cabinet and mounting the switch there so the switch will be on the outside of the cabinet below the sink. I’d use MC to connect the two boxes. The only thing that worries me about this is kids being able to reach the switch.

Both options seem reasonable. Option 2 seems easiest, however:

1. Would I used handy boxes and can I mount the one for the switch to the cabinet itself?

2. Should I use MC or would it be better to run the romex from the outlet box to the switch box (Romex would be exposed but I'd secure it to the cabinet)?

3. I'm going to use metal boxes. If I do option 2, can I go from romex coming in to the outlet box then switch it over to MC to go to the switch. I know the MC has the separate wires in it, and is attached to the box using a special knockout adaptor. I would assume I’d ground the outlet box using a pigtail which would then transfer the grounding to the metal clad of the MC.

4. I was also thinking (if I'm going option 2) of using the flexible plastic electrical tubing from the cabinet base to the first box (outlet), then from the outlet box to the switch box and running the romex inside that tube for extra protection and a cleaner look. Is that acceptable?

Any other ideas would be appreciated. I do know there is an air switch that I can install also, and I'm thinking of going that route and not putting in a physical switch.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Murphy625

Reaction score
I've never seen a disposal work that way.. Where is the switch to turn it on? Is it magnetic??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The switch is in the upper collar, and the stopper as it rotates engages the switch.

• Magnetic cover start activation means no wall switch is required Robust chrome plated die cast zinc stopper that holds back water when needed, and will only turn on disposer when manually activated
I don't sell too many like that. Like almost never. I have one in stock in an old box that I've been hanging onto. The customer ordered it, but it was after the economy had tanked in 08. I figure he may call, or at least I'm ready for the next customer that needs one.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Just install the outlet, then get an Insinkerator "air switch" which can be mounted on the front of the cabinet or on the sink if you have a spare opening. You plug it into the outlet and the disposer into it, then use the button to turn it on and off.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Just install the outlet, then get an Insinkerator "air switch"

And that's why I still have the disposer in the box. Most of the time we're using the air switch; which just needs a hole to mount it in.

http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/H...-Disposers/Evolution/Pages/SinkTopSwitch.aspx

insinkerator_air_switch.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have a SS sink, you could drill a new hole for the air switch.

dcf1999

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies. I like the cover control disposal but it’s a little on the expensive side for a rental property. I think I’m going to do the air switch idea. It’s another $50 that I didn’t want to spend, but it looks like a nice clean install that I can mound most anywhere on the counter. It also looks very easy to install rather than fishing wires around. I guess it’s worth the extra money for the ease of install. It’s an enamel sink with no opening so I’ll have to mount it on the counter somewhere. I would LOVE to mount it on the fake drawer part, but I can see their kids pressing the button on and off all the time and either breaking the button or burning out the disposal if they leave it on. I don’t have kids, but I hear they are good at destroying things within their reach…. Any tips on installing the air switch to avoid problems (Water getting into it, ease of maintenance, etc…)? Can I drill through an enameled sink relatively easy or will that open a can of worms? If I install it on the fake drawer part, is there something I can do to make it “kid proof”?

Thanks again everyone!

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
....... Any tips on installing the air switch to avoid problems (Water getting into it, ease of maintenance, etc…)?
Love the air switch. Got one on my own garbage grinder. Water getting into it is not a problem. There are no electric parts between the button and the switch module.
Can I drill through an enameled sink relatively easy or will that open a can of worms?
I wouldn't do this although I imagine there is a way it could be done.
If I install it on the fake drawer part, is there something I can do to make it “kid proof�
In the fake drawer face would be my first choice. In the counter top beside the sink would be my second.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks