New water softener on a Well

Users who are viewing this thread

chudilo

Reaction score
I just had my softener replaced by a local installer.
I have a couple of questions:

1) The new softener uses a rebranded , Clack. The water seems a bit slimy i.e. soap is hard to wash off. It just regenerated last night for the first time and the water seemed to have gotten a tiny bit better. Should I wait a bit longer before I start messing with settings? I am pretty positive that the old softener was shot.

2) The large, Zinc plated(galvanized), well-water tank only has a 3/4" pipe coming out out it. Is there any benefit in upgrading the pipe from the tank to the softener to a 1" pipe assuming there are a couple of "hard" connections for outside faucets between the tank and the softener. I realise that operating the outside faucets will probably effect the pressure in the house a bit less, but that is not what I am trying to accomplish. I am assuming that changing the tank outlet to a bigger one is out of the question.

So my question is: do I have to change out the tank to one with a bigger outlet pipe to improve the pressure in the shower farthest from the softener/heater?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anytime you can easily replace galvanized water piping you should. The insides get rusty and close in after awhile restricting water flow.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok sorry, misread that. If all the system is undersized it will have a negative effect on flow.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Soft water feels "slimy" to people not used to it. Soap IS hard to rinse off. On the other hand, you get clean.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks