How to remove long-time residue from stick-on no-slip decals

Users who are viewing this thread

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
Years ago when I rented out my home, the tenant stuck on no-skid decals on the bottom of my bathtub. (Ceramic bathtub installed in 1948.) I removed the decals as best I could, but there are still rough spots in the tub that also catch dirt, residue from the stick-um on the decals.

Is there a way to remove this residue? (I'm not interested in tearing out the tub, which would mean having to remodel every part of the bathroom. The bathroom is now only used for guests.)

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try something like GooGone. There are several other similar products, but this one is pretty good at this sort of stuff (mostly natural ingredients). Readily available lots of places and not very expensive. Acetone might work - be careful with the stuff as it is absorbed through your skin, and it smells funky. Use gloves and good ventilation. Something like the Mr Clean Eraser might help getting the last of it up.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Xeylene is a smelly awful stuff. It does however remove so much sticky stuff.

It is the main ingredient in goo gone and sometimes easier and cheaper to find.

JW

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
Clarification: The residue isn't sticky. In fact it is dry and just gritty enough to trap stains and look bad.

Thanks for the advice so far--I just want to explain the nature of the residue, before I go buy "serious" chemicals that may not address the current situation.

What do you think?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I think John was confusing Goo Off with Goo Gone. GooGone is mostly citrus based. It's not very expensive, and handy to have around - I'd give it a try.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use a razor blade on it. Sometimes we pull the blade out of a box knife and use that.

Just to add to that:

Keep the area wet and scrape in a very small angle so you don't scorch the tub. Work slowly.

KarenTheBold

Reaction score
I appreciate you who provided suggestions. Terry, I'm honored you weighed in too. I'll report back on what works.

I do have a concern that the tub surface is already a bit rough, perhaps due to using abrasive stuff like Ajax in the past both for cleaning (in the three decades before I bought the house plus seven years of tenants) and then my own efforts to remove traces of the decals.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I'd try some Goo Gone first to soften things up, then see what happens. Saturate a paper towel and leave it on the area overnight, then see what happens...cheap, and the stuff is handy to have around to get sticky residue off things. It will soften a lot of things. The fact the adhesive is hard may not be a big deal...it was soft, and the Goo Gone should help make it that way again, and then I'd try scraping off what's left.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks