Moen Shower Handle Sticks out too far....trim question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jed1154

Reaction score
I freaked out at first, but after reading, I see its perfectly normal, very common and a 'correct' install...even if its not aesthetically pleasing. Its done to spec. I get that. Im cool with that but I was wondering if anyone has had luck or if Moen sells a 'thicker' trim plate that will suck up some of that gap?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nope, the only option that may be available is an extension kit for when the valve body is too far behind the wall, not something to fill in the gap from being out further than you want it. In either case, with or without the extenders, the handle and the trim plate are the same ones - they usually just send you a prettier piece to cover the longer stem.

I always recommend you mock up your wall thickness so you can put the valve where you want it, not just where it will fit. Believe me, though, this system is better than trying to get the rough-in positioned within say 1/16" like is the requirement on some Kohler stuff! Tile and thinset and whatever, it takes some really careful construction to get some of their trim to fit at all (not all of their stuff is this exacting, just some).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The faucet display panels ALWAYS show the handle right next to the plate, but when it is installed with the "plaster ground" even with the finished wall, which is how I always install them, the handle is ALWAYS at least an inch away.

Jed1154

Reaction score
Yeah, I was just curious. Its not a big deal. Im more than happy knowing its a quality product and valve that is installed correctly....even if its not 'perfect' from an aesthetic stand point. Im probably the only one that will notice or care. :(

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Im probably the only one that will notice or care.

Unless you are like some people and feel obliged to point it out to everyone you bring into the bathroom.

coop

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the above information. I just installed my first moen shower valve and I'm not too pleased with how the handle looks. I've got a fiberglass shower so I went with the "thin wall" installation (where the plaster ground and valve tightens against the back side of the shower wall when the escutcheon is fastened down). I'm curious to know if anyone has ever tried flipping the plaster ground over so that the valve would sit on the outside of that piece instead of being tucked partially inside it? After looking again at the instructions (comic book) it never actually shows how that piece (plaster ground) should be oriented. ...granted, it only seems intuitive that it would be oriented such that the three notches face toward the three pipes (or four pipes in the case of a tub, etc.), but I think it could be installed the other way around and achieve the desired spacing. Anyone ever try it? Could this be something that the designers had intended as additional adjustment, but it was inadvertently omitted from any final draft of the instructions??? Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it will fit the other way and still provide a flat surface to clamp the thing in place, it shouldn't hurt...I've not tried it. Do you still have access? You wouldn't want to drop it or a screw or two after removing it, and then have to remove the shower surround to retrieve it!

coop

Reaction score
I do have access, but I haven't decided if I want to go to the effort to take it all back apart again. Exactly as HJ had mentioned above, it looks nothing like the picture on the box. I'm not pleased with it the way it is, so I'm waiting to see what the wife thinks about how it looks. (I already know that she'll say it's fine, but I'm leaning toward taking it back apart just the same...if I do I'll repost...just not happy with it.)

coop

Reaction score
Flipped the plaster ground, and wow- it looks a million times better! I would definitely recommend this method of install. Now it looks right.

Last edited:

coop

Reaction score
...but what in life could be more important? lol

Attachments

• 20140524_164904.jpg
    20140524_164904.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,510
  • 20140524_171158.jpg
    20140524_171158.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,685

DougB

Reaction score
Im more than happy knowing its a quality product and valve that is installed correctly....even if its not 'perfect' from an aesthetic stand point.(

Here's what I don't understand, if the company cannot correctly document the installation, if they care that little, then maybe they don't care about the quality either?

I'm remodeling my own master bath. I chose a Grohe with a 'rough-in' box. It's an oval plastic box with a brass 'base plate' (elec engineering terms) - this never has to come out of the wall. Further it's designed to be adjustable for depth. The actual mixing valve is attached to the rough-in base plate. A really neat design.

Grohe_Box.JPG

coop

Reaction score
Johnfrwhipple, when you say "blocking" for my shower fixture are you asking about how the shower stall is framed out?

DougB, thanks for sharing, that looks like a much better designed fixture in terms of adjustability.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Johnfrwhipple, when you say "blocking" for my shower fixture are you asking about how the shower stall is framed out?

DougB, thanks for sharing, that looks like a much better designed fixture in terms of adjustability.

What Doug said. How is that rig held up?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
How is that rig held up?????

My birthday was last Friday. After dinner, about 9:00 my wife (who was in the bedroom called out): Douglas, can you help me take something off..... when I got there, she said she was having trouble with her necklace. I was crushed!

LOL - Doug. I'll one up you. My buddy got it three times (ON MOTHER'S DAY !!!) What's up with that? I worked eight hours on a chore list and got Jack and Squat. Other than of course the joy of making my wife super happy on Mother's Day. Which was the point. Come on three times - in a day....

Bastard

coop

Reaction score
Doug and john, yes i still have to add pex hangers to both the hot and cold lines that come into the valve. In moen's picture of a "suggested installation" for pex plumbing, they run the pex up the nearest wall studs and support it there, but I opted to do it a bit different. I plan to put the pex hangers right on the horizontal pex that goes into the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks