Need help replacing bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

14kbiz

Reaction score
I usually don't tackle plumbing jobs on my own but I'm going to try replacing my bathroom vanity. It looks like something I can handle from the research I've done. However, I noticed something a little different about how the current waste pipe is installed. Here's a picture to help explain my concern. The grey waste pipe was installed directly into to PVC going into the p-trap. You can see where the top of pvc is expanded to accept the gray pipe. What's the best to go about installing the new waste pipe into the existing p-trap? I think the new sink will be the same height as the old one. I measured from the bottom/outside of sink drain to floor and measurements are the same.

Thanks.

IMG_0685.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You throw away the gray piece AND the extension below it which is glued to it. The new drain will have its own tailpiece and you will need an "extension tube" to make it longer. The extension will probably have a slip nut on it so you will not glue the two pieces together.

14kbiz

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but will the stopper assembly be in the way of the slip nut? I don't know. Just trying to analyze anything that can go wrong. That's usually my luck, it plan everything out, get so far and have a problem. I'll try the extension tube with the slip nut. Thanks for helping me out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks