(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions about hydronic baseboard heat

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Spriovents are plumbed in a main line, not as a 'top hat'. It has a SS comb that sits in the water stream that literally combs micro air bubbles out of the water stream.
    1) That youtube link was helpful. If I get a spirovent does it have to be oriented with the vent part at the top or can it be facing down or other directions depending on where I plumb it into the system? I would assume the air would need to "rise" up.

2) I am planning on piping in the kickspace heater soon which will require me to drain the heater. I plan to add a brass t fitting 1/2"x1/2"x1/4" in-line on the second floor (I did not see a 1/2"x1/2"x1/8" brass t fitting so I will need to reduce the 1/4" to 1/8") and put in a coin vent. I don't really want to mess around with desoldering elbow fittings this close to winter. I want to do this to help me bleed the second floor after I finish soldering the kickspace heater. The second floor gave me a lot of trouble the last time I drained the heater. Would having the bleeder in-line help me?

Quote Originally Posted by lordmoosh View Post
    1) That youtube link was helpful. If I get a spirovent does it have to be oriented with the vent part at the top or can it be facing down or other directions depending on where I plumb it into the system? I would assume the air would need to "rise" up.

2) I am planning on piping in the kickspace heater soon which will require me to drain the heater. I plan to add a brass t fitting 1/2"x1/2"x1/4" in-line on the second floor (I did not see a 1/2"x1/2"x1/8" brass t fitting so I will need to reduce the 1/4" to 1/8") and put in a coin vent. I don't really want to mess around with desoldering elbow fittings this close to winter. I want to do this to help me bleed the second floor after I finish soldering the kickspace heater. The second floor gave me a lot of trouble the last time I drained the heater. Would having the bleeder in-line help me?
    bump bump bump

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The Spirovent must be installed in a horizontal line, situated with the air vent up.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Master Hot Water Mpls,MN BadgerBoilerMN's Avatar

If the near piping is correct, bleeding a fin-tube hydronic systems is easy and keeping the air out of the system even easier. We have been specifying and using micro-bubble air eliminators on all of our radiant floor and driveway heating systems for a couple of decades but this is over-kill for an old hot running baseboard system and beyond the skill-set of most DIYers and the majority of professionals for that matter.

I would plan to replace the old fin-tube and correct any near-piping errors, allowing for proper air purging at the boiler. Keyed air vents are for girls...

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerBoilerMN View Post
    If the near piping is correct, bleeding a fin-tube hydronic systems is easy and keeping the air out of the system even easier. We have been specifying and using micro-bubble air eliminators on all of our radiant floor and driveway heating systems for a couple of decades but this is over-kill for an old hot running baseboard system and beyond the skill-set of most DIYers and the majority of professionals for that matter.

I would plan to replace the old fin-tube and correct any near-piping errors, allowing for proper air purging at the boiler. Keyed air vents are for girls...
    I've been told before that the piping at my boiler is a mess and needs to be redone properly to avoid the air issues after draining. I'm not ready to go through all of that yet (money, time). I went ahead and piped in the kitchen kickspace heater, replaced the two auto air vents at the boiler and installed a coin vent in the second floor. All zones are currently working except the second floor. I bled a lot of air out of the second floor with the new coin vent but its still not flowing so I have some air somewhere else. I've tried flushing each zone manually by using the drain at the boiler and opening one zone at a time and filling from the water supply without any luck. The last time I drained/refilled the water heater I had the same problem with the second floor but it started working on its own after a day or two. Its been a few days this time and still no heat on the second floor.

I've been told before that the piping at my boiler is a mess and needs to be redone properly to avoid the air issues after draining. I'm not ready to go through all of that yet (money, time). I went ahead and piped in the kitchen kickspace heater, replaced the two auto air vents at the boiler and installed a coin vent in the second floor. All zones are currently working except the second floor. I bled a lot of air out of the second floor with the new coin vent but its still not flowing so I have some air somewhere else. I've tried flushing each zone manually by using the drain at the boiler and opening one zone at a time and filling from the water supply without any luck. The last time I drained/refilled the water heater I had the same problem with the second floor but it started working on its own after a day or two. Its been a few days this time and still no heat on the second floor.
    I was able to get the second floor working. I noticed that when I turned off the 2nd floor thermostat I would hear water falling down in the pipes so I proceeded to open the new bleeder I installed in the 2nd floor and a whole bunch more air bled out. There is still some air in the system but I expect the AAV's to get rid of it in time. Thanks.

There is still some air in the system but I expect the AAV's to get rid of it in time. Thanks.
    I expect that the valves you installed were not air admittance valves. :-)

Auto air vents