Drain layout help

Users who are viewing this thread

MIKE007

Reaction score
We are remodeling a '90 bathroom in a '60 house. The image shows how the pipes where setup before. The first step was to move the backup valve to another location.
The next step is to replace CI with ABS and to lower bath tub drain into the slab. Previously tub drain was above floor. We are considering two options to run the pipes (red and blue). Which one is better, blue or red?

Thanks
M

Attachments

• 0081.jpg
    0081.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 235

rosem637

Reaction score
I would say neither since you have not indicated how the toilet and bath will be vented

MIKE007

Reaction score
Thank you for your input.
The bath will have a separate vent close to the P-trap and the toilet will be wet vented trough sink drain (2"). Actually both vertical pipes are connected together and vented.
Question is: Where to connect the bath drain? To the sink drain (picture) or on the left side of the toilet?
Thank you.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The red one is "dumb", (even if you COULD make those angles), and could result in the upstairs drainage flowing through the "backflow" valve which you do not want to happen. The blue one vents the tub and toilet using the sink/lav drain, which is okay.

MIKE007

Reaction score
Thank you. I will come with a better plan in few days.

One question: Do you think is a good idea to move the backflow downstream after the two lines are joined? In this way I can have this valve in the furnace room.
Previously the valve was sticking out of the floor for 1/2" under the vanity.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Do you think is a good idea to move the backflow downstream after the two lines are joined? I

DEFINITELY NOT!!!!! If you do that, if the sewer backs so the valve closes, using water in the upstairs bath WILL flood the basement. The way it is now, even during a backup the upstairs will work while the downstairs is out of service.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks