Shower Arm Question

Users who are viewing this thread

donmecca999

Reaction score
Hi, John here with a plumbing question

I recently completed a new shower build and am now worried that I have a problem with the shower arm. I just noticed that there is a small drip originating from the threaded fitting between the shower arm and the 90degree in the wall.

After looking around online I started to worry that I did not use the correct fitting for the shower arm. When I was at homedepot getting parts, I saw a 90degree brass fitting with the wings so it can be secured to the framing next to the other copper fittings. It was right there, and everything fit nicely. I am now worried that the fitting I have is not tapered but now understand that it should be. I am not sure if the fitting in the wall is tapered or not, but assuming it is not(because it is not sealing) is there anything I can do to get a good seal for the shower arm? It would be a giant pain to change the 90deg in the wall at this point. The wall opposite the shower arm is another bathroom (fiberglass shower encloser) so there is no access from the back to solder a new fitting on.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's the correct fitting.
Remove the arm, wrap tape on the threads and spin it in.

shower-arm-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is almost ZERO possibility that the elbow in the wall is not tapered. Your problem is in how you are putting the arm into it. You may have a "defective" thread on the arm.

donmecca999

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers. I removed and retaped the arm and it is no longer dripping.

I haven't posted many questions, but this forum was a great help throughout my new shower build so thanks for all the great info provided here!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks