Advice on Water pressure improvements

Users who are viewing this thread

adellicson

Reaction score
Wow. I gave this post a day hoping to bring out some good solutions and it gets a bit heated. I thank you all for your advice and I have to agree that the CSV makes the most sense if it does what it says it will do. And I'm not saying that only because it sounds like the easiest or cheapest route. I'm saying that because it makes sense. I agree with valveman about pressure. You can overcome low pressure if you have the capacity to raise the pump pressure high enough to meet your desires in the areas of low pressure. When I raised the cut-in/cut-off pressure I did see gains in water pressure at the showers. Now if the CSV will keep the pressure on the high end of the 48/68 I have it set at then I should enjoy the higher pressure only instead of the full swing of pressure. If that is the purpose of the CSV then I'm not sure what there is to argue about. I presented this post because I was looking for an easy solution without re-plumbing my house. I thought about relocating my water softener but it really isn't an option unless I want to put it in my crawl or in the bedroom above which happens to be our new nursery for our baby that's coming in 2 months. Having a water softener go through cycles at 2AM with a sleeping baby isn't an option nor is going down into my crawl to load the softener with salt. The basics of fluid dynamics haven't changed, but that isn't to say that there isn't more then one way to skin a cat. I work in the machine automation industry. If you can't develop products to solve problems then you aren't going to last very long so to me the CSV sounds like a product that was developed to keep pressure more consistent. My problems with the showers is cyclic. You only get so much time with decent pressure depending if you started the shower on the low end or high end of the pressure swing. If I could easily T off where the water comes in the house I would, but that is just really a difficult option. The major problem I see is that the water closet that feeds the 2nd and 3rd showers and toilets gets the cold water before it gets to the other closet that holds my water heater which is the only place I could put the softener and then I would have a softener in a closet off my bedroom. Running pipe from the water closet to the 2nd utility closet would be difficult being that it is on slab. I'm sure this was done before the floor was put down. The CSV sounds like a viable option. I have to say I still don't really understand how it works though. It makes the system work like a VFD pump but with a constant speed pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The CSV sounds like a viable option. I have to say I still don't really understand how it works though. It makes the system work like a VFD pump but with a constant speed pump.

We were installing and having problems with VFD’s more than 25 years ago. The CSV was designed to mimic the constant pressure function of a VFD without all the complications, electronics, expense, and lack of dependability. We have been replacing VFD’s with CSV’s everyday for 20+ years. Once you realize that a pumps amps decrease when the flow is restricted with a simple valve, the same way they decrease when using a VFD to slow the RPM, the CSV makes a lot of sense.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks