(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me solve my water issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    It is not unless the dealer wants the service calls it causes. Or a DIYer just loves doing maintenance.

Argumentative little fellow, aren't you LOL

I have quite a lot of customers with air injection that we installed with shutoffs and unions and the homoewners are more than capable of of shutting two valves off, spinning the unions open and flushing the pipe and injector. Takes less than a half hour. I like air injection because it requires less maintainence than chlorene injection and is less costly to operate, but each job and every homeowner has its pecularities so a good serviceman is sensitive to those issues.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Got another quote today from a company that offers either a traditional softener with a Fleck valve, or an EasyWater NoSalt Conditioner. The guy seemed to be pushing the NoSalt system, although he was offering either. Of course, for my water conditions, I would also have to go with an Iron aerator (either a generic one with a fleck valve, or an EasyWater brand "IronShield").

I'm hesitant on the NoSalt Conditioner...thinking, "where's the catch??" but it seems like it's legit, and will soften my water just as well as the salt-based solution (traditional softener).

Anyone have any experience with any of the EasyWater products?

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LOL, (Please turn on your sarcasm filter now) A system that alters the ions in the water to a non sticky state with a radio freuency wire wrapped around the pipe works just as good as a traditional softener...

Salt free water treatment systems have their place, but when they are sold in the way you are being told, I lose all interest. They do not work as good as a tue softener. TAC, NAC, Hydromagnetic, electro magnetic, radio frequency, electronic frequency, catalytic etc. all have their place in this industry but... many companies oversell the systems abilities to do what a softener does. Companies that sell and market them properly, not as a competing item to a traditional softener but as a greener technology that may reduce the scale buildup in a house makes some sense. We sell and we manufacture many of these technologies. i do in-house testing regularly on these technologies. Some of these technologies show some promise, but none of them compete with a traditional softener for actual, repeatable effectiveness. That is why I can almost assure you that every guy on this site who regularly gives advice and lives in a house has a traditional softener in their own home, even though they may sell the alternative technologies.

Easywater makes many great products and they are a great company. The Easy Water electronic scale reduction system has been tested here but the results are not consistent enough to endorse. This is the same for the TAC, NAC, Magnetic etc designs. A true softener will give you the best water, but it also uses salt for the regeneration which can affect the environment in a negative way, especially if they are not set efficiently and properly maintained.

My suggestion, stick with the softening. I am pretty sure everybody on this site will agree except for the occassional sales guy from one of thee companies that pops their head in trying to sell their product.

I did some extensive testing a few years back on similar technology.......real similar and the upshot of it all was that it doesn't work, in fact any qualified chemist will tell you exactly why it can't possibly work, well at least not in this universe. I was also invited by lawyers from said company to cease and desist but when I decided to ignore their threats they were in fact not willing to actually face a judge. Please spend some time on my friends website www.chem1.com It's an eye opener for folks getting scammed into this stuff. Oh, the reason they push salt less is because their commission / profit on the sale and installation is 3 times more than real softening equipment. Step away from the dark side LOL
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Thanks for reaffirming my hunch. I will stick with a salt-softener option.

On that note...what's your take on salt-softeners with a septic system? I've heard mixed reviews...some saying it's bad, others saying it's fine, etc.

Not a problem.

Blog Entries

xtensive studies have been done. The most common conclusion was as Tom said, not a problem. That being said, I would highly recommend designing the system to be as efficient as it reasonably can be, there is no need to try to break the septic system with massive amounts of unneccesary salt and water. Here is a report from the WQA (ignore the person on this site who says the WQA is a stupid waste of time and money and only suckers would join...) that goes over the septic system and softener debate in fairly good detail. There are other reports out there that back up these reports. http://www.wqa.org/sitelogic.cfm?ID=363

Metered vs. Timered?

Is there a preference? I have offers for setups with metered, and setups with timered. I'm trying to figure out if one has a significant advantage over the other.

Blog Entries

Timer is not even legal in many states. Metered always.

Time-clock designs may save you a few dollars up front, but can use significantly more salt and water.

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Can a mechanical 2510 be converted to metered? Is it worth it? It's 12 years old, shows some iron discoloration, otherwise working OK, as far as I know.