(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Irrigation system on a well pump

Quote Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
    If you have a Square-D pressure switch, the instructions might be on the cover. Since you say the cycling is about two minutes between starts, you probably aren't so far from steady operation.

On a sprinkler system of rotor heads, an installer wouldn't spend too much effort tweaking a pressure switch beyond making 30/50 into 40/60 - the installer has different sized sprinkler nozzles to exchange with the installed ones, in order to get a flow match with the pump.

I'll take a look. The first thing I need to do is switch out the pressure gauge in my system, it's 10 years old and doesn't work very smoothly any more. But I am pretty sure that is an easy fix.

Great info. After I fix the gauge I am going to try to move it to 40-60psi. Isn't this what most homes are at? Will this make my well pump cycle more during showers and general home water usage? Obviously showers are going to be a little nicer too

Thanks for help

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

A higher pressure will work towards overcoming some line loss (resistance) and increase the GPM. The higher pressure will also reduce the drawdown on the tank. Lastly, depending on where on the pump curve you are, the higher pressure may reduce the GPM output of the pump. So, as you can see, without the details filled in, the difference may or may not be negligible.

A CSV would not care about the above details and give you consistently high pressure and stop most of the cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by mihomeowner View Post
    I'll take a look. The first thing I need to do is switch out the pressure gauge in my system, it's 10 years old and doesn't work very smoothly any more. But I am pretty sure that is an easy fix.
    Very wise move.