(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird lights blinking, AC compressors making weird noise when it does it.

Replacing a breaker box is more about physical labor than technical knowledge if you ask me...

Here is my advice:
    1. Have someone come out and inspect and/or clean all the contacts on your breaker box. You'll have to turn the main off to do this.. If the main(s) look corroded, you'll need to turn off power to the box from outside.. (pull meter??).. In short, my first advice is to look for some corroded connections.. clean it all until shiny and bright. This is not difficult for anyone even remotely familiar with the insides of a breaker box. Don't forget to check those neutrals! They are just as important as the hot wires.

2. Wait until a hot day during peak usage hours and measure the voltage coming into your home. I've seen issues where multiple voltage regulators burn out at a power company substation and cause the line voltage to be normal at low demand, but drop below 100 volts during 90+ deg days when everyone is drawing lots of power.

3. Find someone with a clamp meter and check the current draw on the AC unit.

I'd bet money its one of the above three...

A temperature test is a good way to check for loose connections. And a Total Darkness Spark and Arc Test.

If a breaker is Hot then it is loose or not closed properly.

Sometimes just cycling the breaker helps, Sometimes the breaker should just be replaced if it has been running Hot.

If you have aluminum wire then that is another can of worms.

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy625 View Post
    Replacing a breaker box is more about physical labor than technical knowledge if you ask me...

Here is my advice:
    1. Have someone come out and inspect and/or clean all the contacts on your breaker box. You'll have to turn the main off to do this.. If the main(s) look corroded, you'll need to turn off power to the box from outside.. (pull meter??).. In short, my first advice is to look for some corroded connections.. clean it all until shiny and bright. This is not difficult for anyone even remotely familiar with the insides of a breaker box. Don't forget to check those neutrals! They are just as important as the hot wires.

2. Wait until a hot day during peak usage hours and measure the voltage coming into your home. I've seen issues where multiple voltage regulators burn out at a power company substation and cause the line voltage to be normal at low demand, but drop below 100 volts during 90+ deg days when everyone is drawing lots of power.

3. Find someone with a clamp meter and check the current draw on the AC unit.

I'd bet money its one of the above three...
    To summarize, hire an electrician before you have to call the fire department

Well magically it started back up doing the same thing again. I called an electrician and he wants $100 just to show up , so I called the light company. The light company said they could come out tomorrow to check the voltage to the meter and that the transformer is doing it's job and we can go from there.

When I explained the electrician that $100 was a strain on us to begin with being on SSI, he said "I can understand that, but you should have to pay licensing and insurance I pay" . So I ended with "I understand, and I'll call you back if we can get a loan." .
    Last edited by SteamCows; 09-12-2013 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteamCows View Post
    Well magically it started back up doing the same thing again. I called an electrician and he wants $100 just to show up , so I called the light company. The light company said they could come out tomorrow to check the voltage to the meter and that the transformer is doing it's job and we can go from there.

When I explained the electrician that $100 was a strain on us to begin with being on SSI, he said "I can understand that, but you should have to pay licensing and insurance I pay" . So I ended with "I understand, and I'll call you back if we can get a loan." .

It will not fix itself. Would be nice but I have never experienced it.

Not sure where you live in Texas, but there are some companies around here that will do free estimates, and free trip charge.

Some even have payment plans.

Maybe the Power Company can give you a clue what is causing your problem.

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    It will not fix itself. Would be nice but I have never experienced it.

Not sure where you live in Texas, but there are some companies around here that will do free estimates, and free trip charge.

Some even have payment plans.

Maybe the Power Company can give you a clue what is causing your problem.

Good Luck.
    Yeah I am hoping so. To be honest it seems to be happening when the dryer, in the same room, is ran. But the dryer is a 220 and the AC is in the same room as a 110. it seems to be happening more around 5am-12PM. No idea how that'd make any sense or help out in trying to find the cause, other than the AC fighting the dryer ? (In terms of heat added to the room the AC has to cool down).

I turn the AC off while the washing machine (that IS on the same breaker) works but on before the dryer starts, so the room isn't so hot.