Culligan Super S is "ticking"

Users who are viewing this thread

efbman

Reaction score
My Culligan Super S iron filter has started ticking like a clock, only a little bit faster. It's fairly load as you can hear it when your in the basement within 5 yards of it. Other than that is seems ok since it started about 3 weeks ago. Any ideas?

efbman

Reaction score
Would that be happening if there was no water flowing? The sound happens 24/7.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does it have an electronic clock or a motor? Mine (other brand) has a motor and it has been ticking for around 10 years.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely it is of the dial clock or the pre digital time and the motor for the timer assembly is ticking. Like the Fleck timer motors that are much like it they can tick like that from the start or start later in life.
They can tick for some time or saying that it is about time to say good night for the timer and check out.
Does it look some thing like this?
Culligan Timer Assembly B.jpg

efbman

Reaction score
Akpsdvan, that is exactly what it looks like. I now believe it is the round motor(?) on the right that shows blue through the openings. Is that the "timer motor"?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
That is the timer motor.
Some go for some time ticking before the die, others tick and a very short time later they die, it is any ones guess as the time left.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of the few culligan dealers that are on line I have not seen many if any that sell parts.
Might be able to buy one from a local dealer , but that might be a challenge in that culligan has moved to the digital control boards so the style like yours may not be available any more.
I have seen different culligan items for sale on that bidding site that has been around for some time , starts with E... some new parts and then some old controls or used timer assemblies like the one in the photo that I posted.
Drop a pm if you would like.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I'm not a culligan man but if its a metered valve, there's a turbine in there that counts gallons so it may be something got in the volute and the turbine is wacking it.

I guess you thought a Culligan meter is different somehow from any other meter used on other brands of control valves. LOL And then there is that part you forgot about, the noise happening when there is no water being used... A troubleshooter yer not.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did his 1st post say anything about ticking when water is not being used? Ahhh no.
Do other metered valves occasionally pick up a ticking sound ahhhh yes.

Unlike you, I like to keep an open mind when troubleshooting

Did I Not say that I am not the culligan man? I did. I know nothing about culligan valves. Seen a few, never worked on any and since there are a few manufacturers out there that make some very different valves like Kinetico, well nice try skippy

You keep throwing the bait but nobody's biting LOL. Try PLB.com there's always someone over there that will dance with you LOL

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Actually, anybody who has field experience would know that a little ticking noise is not that uncommon from a wearing meter turbine bearing/bushing or small piece of debris in the meter. Most electronic valves do not make any noise unless they are running water. Had the OP posted a picture of the unit, we would have went to the electromechanical time-clock portion of the system first.

Keep on trolling!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, like I said, I read the first post, no mention of water running or valve type. I went with what I have encountered the most often in the last 40 years of servicing filtration. Troubleshooting is a process of procedural deduction and most competent technicians always start with the obvious or most common and work backwards from there. So I didn't hit he nail on the head the first time given the information I had to go on. Had I been following the thread, which I wasn't, after the OP said it ticks all the time I would have then moved on to the mechanical timer. Note that my detractor never nailed the problem either and only bothered to throw his two cents worth of useless comments in in an attempt to illicit a negative response from me in the way of a personal insult. Hey, not gonna happen. No point. We all know who he is and what he is all about by now.

Fortunately most of the professionals like Akspdvan and others that post here are just that and willing to help rather than waste everyone's time trying to start an argument, or tossing insults. I guess at least one member here must br anti DIY LOL.

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
First you two, most filters do not have meters.

Secondly if a meter ticks, it will only do that when water is running through it. The OP said it had been doing it 3 weeks and that it was in the basement so... I would seriously doubt water was being used every time he went down there. But not our Tommie or dittodude, either one screws up and the other defends him. And as the OP realized, his water would have to be running 24/7.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here the original post

Culligan Super S is "ticking"
My Culligan Super S iron filter has started ticking like a clock, only a little bit faster. It's fairly load as you can hear it when your in the basement within 5 yards of it. Other than that is seems ok since it started about 3 weeks ago. Any ideas
Do ya read anything there about the water flow either way? Hmmmmmm nope,

Here's the details

Ticking like a clock
a bit faster
Can hear it within 5 yards
Seems ok
Started about 3 weeks ago

Nice try....FAIL. LOL. Now see if you can post something helpful for a change LOL

Gotta give you props for trying though. Have you read the definition of insanity? LOL

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
As earlier stated and as the 1st to reply, I had no further knowledge. Yes indeed Akspdvan got it right but he had more to
go on. You might try reading and following the conversation for a change. It would make your comprehension a bit easier.
Would it change anything or make you feel better if I go back and edit my 1st post? because I will just to ease your apparent angst. I'm pretty sure that it be you doing the whining here LOL

This is from YOU BTW

I guess you thought a Culligan meter is different somehow from any other meter used on other brands of control valves

But, but, but, valves dont have meters? LOL LOL LOL

You really gonna try to beat me up on semantics? especially when everyone I have ever talked to or that has talked to me, in the industry calls them Metered Demand Valves.....but you probably have a different term. Other than comic relief though, you still have brought nothing to the table.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks