(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice. I bought CPVC and the plumber used copper.

Default Need advice. I bought CPVC and the plumber used copper.

Hi,

I purchased cpvc pipe and fittings for my general contractor to use on a small one room remodel. While I was away he purchased and installed copper pipe without my knowledge or approval. He feels that copper is a better product and he had never heard of using "plastic" inside a living space. He also said he could not figure out how to make the cpvc "work", He lost the better part of a day trying to figure it out (charged me full day). His attitude is that he was doing me a favor. I paid him for his time but am only willing to split the cost of the pipe. This is not a debate of Copper vs CPVC, and thats the stand the contractor is trying to make. Any thoughts/advice.

Thanks!

You've got to be kidding! Copper is still the best pipe for water supply known to man. I wonder if he really never heard of CPVC in inside a living space, it is done. And, I have no idea what he could have meant about making CPVC "work", but yes, he did you a favor. Just wondering. Did you buy 1/2" CPVC or 3/4"? I ask because the equal the inside diameter of 1/2" copper, you would need 3/4" CPVC. 1/2" CPVC is approximately the same as 3/8" copper. Yeah, I know you didn't want a debate copper vs CPVC, but that's really what this is about.

Also he has not provided a receipt for the copper pipe and fittings. Gary, thanks very little!

Couldn't make CPVC work? I think he should have cut you some slack on his labor, it's not your fault he doesn't know how to use materials provided, is it? It's not like your asking him to use some super exotic material.

Unless your water has a really low pH, copper is the better material to use. But I wonder, if he couldn't figure out CPVC, can he sweat a joint?

He did ou a favor, big time. Wether you do or don't want to debate the quality issues, cpvc is garbage plain and simple. Pay the man and thank him.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

1. If I were doing the job, YOU would NOT be "buying the materials"
    2. I would use the best material, which is copper
    3. I would NOT give you a receipt for the materials
    4. There is NOTHING to figure out when using CPVC, any dummy can do it which is why it IS used.
    5. Before I started, I would have told you the cost, and if you agreed to it, you would NOT be supplying anything to reduce the price.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Thanks guys

It is quite possible that CPVC is not approved inside a structure in Santa Rosa.

So knowbody would have let the customer know? Hey I'm changing up your plan, and its going to cost you.
    Last edited by jasperjohn; 09-07-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Typeo

I would have told you that I would not install cpvc before I went ahead. So yes he should have said something.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you're not there when the work is done, it might be kind of hard to tell you!
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Around here, there is no cpvc. PEX was approved 3 years ago, but no contractor will install it. Copper is the only way to go.
    But, some communication between you two should have taken place.
    Pay the man in full and be happy with your new addition, you don't want to end up in litigation, because he'll win.

We have email and cell phones now Jim. I paid him in full for labor and half the cost of the copper, which he had leftover from another job. I will never use him again or recommend. If the customer wants PEX or cpvc it's not up to the plumber to decide what to do when your back is turned.

I agree that you should have been consulted, but re-read HJ's post.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperjohn View Post
    We have email and cell phones now Jim. I paid him in full for labor and half the cost of the copper, which he had leftover from another job. I will never use him again or recommend. If the customer wants PEX or cpvc it's not up to the plumber to decide what to do when your back is turned.
    Why, because he refused to use an inferior product that could cause issues in the near future? Cheap people make me wanna puke! If I was him I would remove the copper you won't pay for and take a loss.