Fluidmaster 400A Consumer Review

Users who are viewing this thread

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
Post here of what you think of your Fluidmaster fill valve in your Kohler, American Standard toilet, or others!

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
I have had my Cimarron since April of 2012 and it has the 400A fill valve. It is very quiet and doesn't leak. I had to rinse out the cap a few times because we have VERY hard water and the sediment gets kicked up in the well. But other than that, it's great!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Kohler Fluidmaster has a rubber "flow/noise" reducer stuck in the bottom of it. That will get obstructed and restrict the flow, and when it happens the restrictor has to be removed for normal operation. I have not installed any American Standard toilets that had Fluidmasters in them. I do not like the Korky fill valve and use Fluidmasters exclusivley.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 400A has no bowl refill adjustment. It's a basic fill valve that is easy to adjust for tank shutoff, but no adjustment for bowl refill. They now have the Performax valve, with adjustment for bowl refill, and it does seem to be quieter. Updated 2021

The old 400A can be louder than other fill valves.
If the fill tube is not daylighted above the overflow tube, it can siphon water from the tank. This can cause constant tank refill. It does come with instructions and a part for that, and it must be used.

Because bowl refill is not adjustable, it can waste a gallon or two of water down the drain during refill. That is sometimes why it can take so long to refill after a flush.

Most consumers would have no idea that this valve wastes so much water. It's going down the drain, and just adds to their water bill.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks