Remove Moen 3809 diverter spout

Users who are viewing this thread

integration

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to remove a Moen 3809 diverter spout (image attached), but it just keeps rotating. There is no hex screw below. So I assumed that this was a threaded type diverter spout. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 3809bn.jpg
    3809bn.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 1,592

integration

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. The spout rotates freely, and I have tried seeing if there is an Allan screw, but there isn't one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are only two common ways the spout is attached: screw on pipe fitting, or push-on, locked via a setscrew. If it's rotating without moving along the screw, the set screw is holding it. Now, you may have broken the collar with the setscrew, but there's still one there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Allen screw goes through a plastic insert inside the spout. You have probably loosened it so you have to line the slot up with the screw again.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the pipe the spout is attached to is stuck into a shark bit type fitting, the pipe might be spinning.

Smooky,
Good catch. The Moen spec you have shows and IP spout. It would make sense then that if a Sharkbite was used, it would spin and spin.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; if a Sharkbite was used,

If some "idiot" did use a Sharakbite, (but I am not sure how they would have gotten it in there and tightened up), the the only solution is to "chop" the spout apart until you can access it and depress the "release ring".

Last edited:

integration

Reaction score
Hello all,

Thank you so much for all your responses. Only the spout is spinning. I think Smooky is correct, and a Sharkbite was used, and that's why its just spinning. So I guess I'll have to cut the spout in order to access the release ring. Any other suggestions before I do this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sharkbites have their place, but I don't think that this is one of them!

Do you have, or can you get access to the plumbing behind the shower wall? If so, you could release the pipe from the sharkbit and pull the pipe stub and the spout out. Might be just as easy to cut a new piece of pipe to attach a new spout to. How you kept it from spinning on the wall eludes me...must have caulked it tight to the shower wall, and that was the only thing really keeping it from moving around.

integration

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. The plumbing behind the wall isn't easily accessible. The spout only spins if I turn it by hand. There is no caulking.

I just moved into this place, and the previous owner installed the plumbing in the bathroom, and probably the Sharkbite. Its a little tough to understand what his reason for this was. The whole installation is quite new, and its rather unfortunate that there is a substantial leak from the spout.

integration

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I went ahead and hacked the spout, and lo and behold! It was held by a sharkbite!! I removed it with a sharkbite removal tool (available for around $2 in Home Depot), and installed the new spout. The thing that was really irritating me, the leak, has now stopped. One suggestion to anyone who might have to do this - using a hacksaw alone isn't enough. You will need a good pair of cutting pliers in order to cut away and remove the hacked part of the spout in order to access the pipe. It took a little effort, but I was able to do it.

For those who are thinking about it, please don't install a sharkbite for the diverter spout, unless you wish to transform a 2 minute job to an hour of tricky work. There are a lot better ways to keep yourself busy!

integration

Reaction score
Ha, I knew someone would want to see it! Here are a couple of pics, Terry. Thanks for your help!

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As I said, it would take an "Idiot" to use a Sharkbite fitting in a diverter spout. Just tightening into the thread would have been a challenge. A Crescent wrench works as good, or better, than the "release tool".

Elizabeth H Dole

Reaction score
As I said, it would take an "Idiot" to use a Sharkbite fitting in a diverter spout. Just tightening into the thread would have been a challenge. A Crescent wrench works as good, or better, than the "release tool".
I'm so happy for this post as I'm a novice at repairs! There's a sharkbite in my spout therefore it will not twist off, however thanks to this post I'm using a hacksaw (1st time ever) & will get the spout off. I'll be purchasing a sharkbite removal tool, etc. Thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks