Light Bulb Exploded (Incandescent) Seeking Brand Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I flipped on the kitchen light last night and POP! The 60W incandescent lightbulb in a single-bulb ceiling lamp exploded out of the fixture. It did not shatter into small pieces, but broke in an even ring close to the base of the bulb.

The bulb was sized correctly for the light, so I'm not sure if it's the lamp or the bulb that caused this (my guess is the bulb).

Are certain brands less likely to shatter like this? If this had fallen on a hard surface it would have left the typical small shards of glass scattered everywhere.

Thanks in Advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just like many things today, most of this stuff is now made in China...my guess is that it either had some corrosion (failing to get things clean or impurities) or just wasn't heat sealed properly and air got into the glass envelope and when the heat was applied, the expansion broke things. It's possible that the housing was in contact with the glass globe, and repeated stress from on/off hot/cold would have caused any bulb to fail. Without seeing the fixture, that's hard to say.

I'd say try an LED bulb, but while there's been some movement to bring construction back to the US, not sure if it's happened yet.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since the incandescent light bulbs are slowly being phased out (all good things come to an end), they are being replaced by LED light, that cost 30 times more. They certainly make sure that the money is being diverted to the right pockets.
You can still find incandescent bulbs, most likely made in the People's Republic of China, no mater what brand label you see on the package. If you want to stay with incandescent bulbs for the next decade or so, stock up on these light bulbs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks