Vandalized well on fixer upper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Billyfixit

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Glad to be here. :)

My g/f and myself just bought a house out in the country in central florida. We got a good deal on it but it has issues and needs many repairs. Nobody has been in the house since 07. The well is one issue I need to address right away and I'm hoping some of you can help. It would be appreciated. Seems someone stole the pressure switch and the cover has been left off the red jacket control box since 07. Pressure tank looks OK but the pvc will need replaced as someone kicked the tank over. the first problem I'm running into is I have no idea what size submersible the pump is. The control box seems to be the CRC type because it has two capacitors but I can't get any numbers off of it because I can't find any and everything is rusty. I found the cover but no part number or anything on it. It just says red jacket. Its a 3 wire submersible but thats all I can tell. I haven't ohmed anything out yet to see if its good but I assume the control box will need replaced at least because of the rust. Any ideas?

Attachments

• redjacket 001.jpg
    redjacket 001.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 372
  • redjacket 002.jpg
    redjacket 002.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 376
  • redjacket 003.jpg
    redjacket 003.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 362

Billyfixit

Reaction score
Looks like a 1.5HP box to me. If you can get the MFD number off the black round capacitor we could confirm that.

I'll get it, thanks. Do you know what type of pressure switch I'ld need for a CRC control box or is there even a difference?

Billyfixit

Reaction score
I couldn't get a single number off the black cap. Theres just nothing on it. Heres a pic. Its roughly 3 1/2" high X 1 1/4" wide if that helps.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 346

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I still think it is a 1.5 HP. I guess you could put a new 1.5 HP box on there and try it. Then it would run so you could check the amp draw to make sure what size of pump it is.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
You may be able to get a clue off of the relay.

Most will have the HP rating on them.

And the motor should be equal to or less than that rating.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Is there a range of capacitor values and motor winding resistances that can pin down the motor rating?

Billyfixit

Reaction score
You may be able to get a clue off of the relay.

Most will have the HP rating on them.

And the motor should be equal to or less than that rating.

Good Luck.

I'm going up this weekend so I'll check.

Thanks..

DonL

Reaction score
So what were those readings?

I think he was wanting the color code for the Motor Windings. Should be able to figure that out by the readings he gets between each wire. Wire color may vary ?

He may be able to take the caps and have them tested for value, Auto parts place or Radio Shack have cap testers. It still looks good.

Well not all that good, but the pressure release looks intact.

Billyfixit

Reaction score
Heres the relay.. 35 amp. I didn't get a chance to ohm the pump yet as my meter wasn't working properly. Is it best to use an analog or digital meter to measure the motor. If the pump hasn't been started in 6 yerars do you think it still has a chance to run once I get the control stuff figured out?

Attachments

• redjacket 005.jpg
    redjacket 005.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 300

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You are going to need the ohm readings, or amp draw. They use that same relay from 1/2 to 3 HP. Digital or analog will get you those ohm readings. I have started pumps that have been sitting unused in a well for 20 years. It is really a good place to store a submersible. Constant temperature, below the oxygen, and can't dry out.

DonL

Reaction score
I still think it is a 1.5 HP. I guess you could put a new 1.5 HP box on there and try it. Then it would run so you could check the amp draw to make sure what size of pump it is.

I think that this is correct.

The current measurement would be the best check. That Box may work OK, to test the motor, even if it looks in bad shape.

That Tyco Relay would be correct for a 1.5 HP motor. (Current rating and Coil Drop out Voltage)

Any larger motor would not be good design practice, using that relay.

Last edited:

Billyfixit

Reaction score
I think that this is correct.

The current measurement would be the best check. That Box may work OK, to test the motor, even if it looks in bad shape.

That Tyco Relay would be correct for a 1.5 HP motor. (Current rating and Coil Drop out Voltage)

Any larger motor would not be good design practice, using that relay.

I guess I could use the box but not the relay. It was full of water. The cover was taken off of it years ago when it was vandalized.
Also, I don't want to buy a control box if its the wrong size. I won't be able to take it back and they're not cheap. I'll check ohm readings between the motor wires and see if that will help.

edit: Being that its a crc box with a start and run cap, is their a difference in pressure switches for crc vs. non crc? Can you link me to one that would work for a 1.5 hp? (saying that thats what it is)

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I would use a Square D, and not the other off brands that HD sells.

A standard 2 pole pressure switch will work, but some are junk.

Good Luck.

Billyfixit

Reaction score
So I took ohms messurement on the pump. It took quite awhile for the meter to settle down on all the readings. Is that normal? Anyway, here they are.

red/yellow 13.6
red/black 15.8
black/yellow 5.

I checked them all to ground and there was no reading.

So what do you guys think?

edit: also, in my first post on here you can see a bit of the bladder tank. (at least I think it is)

Their is no shrader valve on it. It has a couple of plastic pieces on top of it but they don't appear to come off. Is it like precharged at the factory or something?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks