(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vandalized well on fixer upper.

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    I still think it is a 1.5 HP. I guess you could put a new 1.5 HP box on there and try it. Then it would run so you could check the amp draw to make sure what size of pump it is.

I think that this is correct.

The current measurement would be the best check. That Box may work OK, to test the motor, even if it looks in bad shape.

That Tyco Relay would be correct for a 1.5 HP motor. (Current rating and Coil Drop out Voltage)

Any larger motor would not be good design practice, using that relay.
    Last edited by DonL; 09-17-2013 at 07:08 AM.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I think that this is correct.

The current measurement would be the best check. That Box may work OK, to test the motor, even if it looks in bad shape.

That Tyco Relay would be correct for a 1.5 HP motor. (Current rating and Coil Drop out Voltage)

Any larger motor would not be good design practice, using that relay.
    I guess I could use the box but not the relay. It was full of water. The cover was taken off of it years ago when it was vandalized.
    Also, I don't want to buy a control box if its the wrong size. I won't be able to take it back and they're not cheap. I'll check ohm readings between the motor wires and see if that will help.

edit: Being that its a crc box with a start and run cap, is their a difference in pressure switches for crc vs. non crc? Can you link me to one that would work for a 1.5 hp? (saying that thats what it is)
    Last edited by Billyfixit; 09-19-2013 at 03:39 PM.

For 2HP and smaller all you need is the standard Square D FSG2. It is like 15 bucks.

I would use a Square D, and not the other off brands that HD sells.

A standard 2 pole pressure switch will work, but some are junk.

Good Luck.

So I took ohms messurement on the pump. It took quite awhile for the meter to settle down on all the readings. Is that normal? Anyway, here they are.

red/yellow 13.6
    red/black 15.8
    black/yellow 5.

I checked them all to ground and there was no reading.

So what do you guys think?

edit: also, in my first post on here you can see a bit of the bladder tank. (at least I think it is)

Their is no shrader valve on it. It has a couple of plastic pieces on top of it but they don't appear to come off. Is it like precharged at the factory or something?
    Last edited by Billyfixit; 09-23-2013 at 06:23 PM.

From those ohm readings I am guessing a 3/4 HP. But if you purchase a 3/4 control box and it pulls more than 7 amps, your screwed. It is very rare for a cap run control box to be on anything smaller than a 1.5 HP. 1.5 HP is going to pull 11.9 amps.

There is a Schrader valve on the top of that tank somewhere. One of those plastic things comes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyfixit View Post
    So I took ohms messurement on the pump. It took quite awhile for the meter to settle down on all the readings. Is that normal? Anyway, here they are.

red/yellow 13.6
    red/black 15.8
    black/yellow 5.

I checked them all to ground and there was no reading.

So what do you guys think?

That is close to what a 1/2 or 3/4 HP would read.

Hard to tell for sure because your readings do not add up.

Red/Black should be 18.6 ohms if your other two readings are correct.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by valveman View Post
    From those ohm readings I am guessing a 3/4 HP. But if you purchase a 3/4 control box and it pulls more than 7 amps, your screwed. It is very rare for a cap run control box to be on anything smaller than a 1.5 HP. 1.5 HP is going to pull 11.9 amps.

I agree, Sounds a bit strange.

Well I guess I could get the start cap tested. I tested it with a digital meter and it just read OL. Likely need an anolog to see if its OK although I know thats not going to tell me the micro farad rating but it would tell me if it can be tested. Took it to radio shack and they laughed. They can only test little mini caps.

What would happen if I was oversized on the box? i.e. 3/4 hp pump with a 1 hp box. Would the larger caps eventually destroy the motor?

Got news for you Don, new Square D pressure switches are just as bad as any of the others and they cost more to boot.

I doubt an over sized box will hurt the motor, I have used them when I didn't have the right box on the truck with no problems.
    Last edited by craigpump; 09-25-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    Got news for you Don, new Square D pressure switches are just as bad as any of the others and they cost more to boot.
    Yeah the little plastic part that holds the points is no where near as good as the old fiber board was on those Square D switches.

Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    I doubt an over sized box will hurt the motor, I have used them when I didn't have the right box on the truck with no problems.
    Yeah since overloads are in the motor there should not be any problem. I've used larger boxes many times as well with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Billyfixit View Post
    Took it to radio shack and they laughed. They can only test little mini caps.

What would happen if I was oversized on the box? i.e. 3/4 hp pump with a 1 hp box. Would the larger caps eventually destroy the motor?

That is funny that they say they can not test that cap. Workers at Radio Shack only know Cell Phones now a days.

The only difference in the cap size is the voltage rating and most cap testers will check up to 1000uF.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...6&locale=en_US

A 1 HP box should work fine but will cost a bit more.

Good Luck.

Thanks guys.. I'm going to go with a 1 hp crc control box and let the dice roll. Will post results or questions.
    Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Hey guys.. just wanted to say thanks. I went with a 1 hp redhat controller and it worked fine. I did an amp draw and was looking at 6.1 amps per leg. Everything works just fine. It spewed out some muddy water for awhile but then was crystal clear. It holds pressure very well too. Talking to the neighbor, his is drilled 240 ft and its in a aquafir so the water is very good. I assume mine is about the same depth etc..

Only prob I have is half the cpvc under the mobile home is cracked to bits. Apparently it was full of water and froze at some time and most of it all split open. I replaced about 2/3rds of it so far and then its on to the sinks and toilets as they all drip or leak. lol..

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again. I really appreciate everyone that helped me out. I really didn't know much of anything about deep wells or two cap control boxes and you guys helped me get it up and running..

cheers!

Good work Billy.

Thanks for the update.

Enjoy.