boiler 200000 btu

Users who are viewing this thread

jhon11

Reaction score
hi, I have to replace an old gas boiler for a commercial property it's about 230000 output btu , what would be my best choice and what would be the price.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is such an open-ended question. Just like in a house, before you arbitrarily replace the thing with the same size, you need to do some analysis as to what the right size is. Now, it's possible it was the right size, but that seems to be by far the rarity. It may be that the place could be well served with a much smaller boiler, with a smaller upfront cost and on-going fuel costs, along with being more comfortable. But, without knowing more about the building, it's radiation types, zones, insulation, design-day temperatures, insulation levels, windows, etc., there's no way to say. Then, throw in most (by no means all) people on this forum are from the USA, and not all products available here are available there, it makes it tougher.

But, first thing, before just replacing with the same sized equipment, pay someone to analyze your actual needs and start saving some money.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I have to replace an old car that puts out about 130 horsepower, for use on highways.

What would be the best choice, and what will it cost? (And what if it has to be blue?)

;-)

Seriously, the system it's going into and loads it's supporting matter. What Jim says is true- to come up with a satisfactory answer requires a lot more information and analysis.

jhon11

Reaction score
ok thanks for the replies, I understand there are a lot of factors involved, nonetheless the boiler has to be replaced and I will have to choose a brand the guy that's going to install it recommended Lara's Weil McLain. or he said let me know if you would prefer any other. I was kind of looking for any reviews on boilers, maybe see which we're more reliable etc. well thanks for your replies if I do get more info I will post it.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, lets assume that a proper heat loss has been done and the heat load is indeed 200,000btu/hr. you could go with a single pass cast iron boiler, which would be the least expensive and least efficient choice. Of the lot, Weil McLain is certainly a stout and worthy choice as would be Burnham, Peerless, HB Smith and a host of others of their ilk. Taking it up a notch would be a 2 or three pass cast iron boiler say a Biase or a Buderus, both of which are fine pieces of cast iron with better efficiencies. My choice though would b to step fire a couple of mod cons with outdoor reset so that in the warmer months, only one boiler needs to operate. It really all comes down to cost v payback.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks