Intake piping on bottom of lake

Users who are viewing this thread

Bassadict69

Reaction score
I am ready to permanently run the intake plumbing to an irrigation pump on our dock. How should I run this and how should I hold it down on bottom.

I am thinking that I will come off the pump intake, down into the lake and down to the bottom then run the piping through several cinder blocks spaced one per 10ft or so until I get it out to deeper and weed free water, then put the foot valve.

Also, is some sort of filter recommended over the foot valve?

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
If you plan a permanent fixed suction line to a pump, you might do with a check valve at the pump intake, rather than a foot valve. That approach also gives you some freedom to choose an intake strainer/screen that fits your system and sprinkler heads, in the event that they want cleaner water.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I am ready to permanently run the intake plumbing to an irrigation pump on our dock. How should I run this and how should I hold it down on bottom.

I am thinking that I will come off the pump intake, down into the lake and down to the bottom then run the piping through several cinder blocks spaced one per 10ft or so until I get it out to deeper and weed free water, then put the foot valve.

Also, is some sort of filter recommended over the foot valve?

I use 2" pvc about 3 foot long with 1/8 inch holes drilled every 1/2 inch. Then I have a fiber filter over that, that I can rinse easy. It will stay on the bottom when filled with water.

That keeps fish from getting sucked up and sticking to the inlet.

However you do it, you will have to clean some type of filter on occasion.

Good Luck.

DonL

Reaction score
Rookie here! LOL! Can you explain sandpoint?

You need to make sure your area will allow a sandpoint in the lake. It will most likely be in the mud, in your area.

Some locations do not allow taking water from a lake for irrigation. Temporary is a bit different than permanent.

Good Luck.

Bassadict69

Reaction score
We have to pay a yearly fee to draw the water, but it is allowed. Most homeowners on the lake pump water from the lake for their irrigation system.

DonL

Reaction score
We have to pay a yearly fee to draw the water, but it is allowed. Most homeowners on the lake pump water from the lake for their irrigation system.

That is good.

You have more fresh water than we do.

How big is your pump inlet ?

Good Luck.

Last edited:

DonL

Reaction score
I guess people around you would know how to do it properly.

It will have to be done in a way to protect fish from sticking to the inlet.

And keep boat props out of it.

Have Fun.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you have a sandy bottom, you can shallow bury it horizontally. They also come in metal in many sizes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks