fuse gets extremely hot and lights flicker

Users who are viewing this thread

candy74

Reaction score
My lights started going dim then get bright so I had an electrician come check, he changed a main fuse that had blown but he said it was still making a connection and that was the problem, day later the lights are still doing the same thing. I went to the fuse box and the main fuse is extremely hot. I hope someone can give me an idea as to what may be causing this. I can't pay another 350.00 for someone to come out.
Thanks in advance

Jacobsond

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nielsenelectric.com
There is to much current or poor or corroded connections.Call the electrician back before you have a fire. Any service man worth paying for should not charge full rate or much extra if the problem was not resolved from the 1st visit.You may need to change the fuse box for breakers because of the fuse boxes age and inability to repair. Now that will cost some$$$$$

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
My lights started going dim then get bright so I had an electrician come check, he changed a main fuse that had blown but he said it was still making a connection and that was the problem, day later the lights are still doing the same thing. I went to the fuse box and the main fuse is extremely hot. I hope someone can give me an idea as to what may be causing this. I can't pay another 350.00 for someone to come out.
Thanks in advance

A Fuse should not get Hot.

If it does then there is a loose connection.

Call him back and ask why ?

candy74

Reaction score
Thank you. I called he said to call the power company that it must be a loose netural on the main line. I am more than confused and very worry now.

Murphy625

Reaction score
Bad connection (corrosion?) causes resistance = creates heat. I would turn off power to the box (pull meter?), clean all contact surfaces until shiny.

DonL

Reaction score
Thank you. I called he said to call the power company that it must be a loose netural on the main line. I am more than confused and very worry now.

If the problem is after the meter, then it is your problem, or his.

At least the Power company will Pull your meter if your panel is not safe.

Then you will need a inspection to get power restored.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

candy74

Reaction score
I know this may sound crazy but what kind of questions do I need to be asking him. I told him what was happening he said that the main fuses {they are 100 amp buzz fuses} would get hot when pulling a lot of power.

DonL

Reaction score
Heat means some resistance in the fuse holder or wiring in your fuse box, normally.

You have told him enough , IF he is a Real Electrician.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Contact the licensing board in your state and I promise he will be back and fix the problem for no charge

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks