3 Mth water shut off

Users who are viewing this thread

wfg

Reaction score
IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0008.jpgIMG_0007.jpgIMG_0005.jpgWe go away for 3 mths during the winter and shut off the main water line to the house. How will this affect our newly purchased water softener? Should I attempt to empty the remaining water and salt out of it prior to leaving, and if so, how?? Thanks I've now attached some pictures.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
We go away for 3 mths during the winter and shut off the main water line to the house. How will this affect our newly purchased water softener? Should I attempt to empty the remaining water and salt out of it prior to leaving, and if so, how?? Thanks

Technically, there is a procedure for shutdown and start-up. For only three months, I would not worry about it other than a few minor things.

Before you shut the water off, regenerate the softener. When you return, regenerate the softener.

You could go through a simple sanitization when you return, but I seriously doubt that will be necessary. A softener should not be drained during this time. Protect it from freezing if that applies.

Anyone else have any good recommendations?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks