Replacing Kitchen Sink w/Larger Depth Bowls

Users who are viewing this thread

Goyescas

Reaction score
:confused: Hello all.

My father is installling a new kitchen sink as a "gift" to me. Current is a 6" double bowl, self-rimmed (33x22) with disposal. Piping is PVC, with copper hot/cold leads, which we know to replace with the stainless steel flexible type.

This morning he crawled under there and was surprised to see PVC. I Asked what was it that he expected, and he said "pipes, like mine." Also not happy about the fact that the new 33x22 self rimmed SS sink is a 9" double, meaning the pipes come into play in a big way (I guess), which begs the following question:

Should we just re-pipe the entire job (current PVC etc. is 14 years old, no leaks)? Are there kits for this (today we pick out the new sink, begin installation tomorrow).

If so, with what - new PVC, or should we use something else?

I do plan to reinstall the disposal, which he wanted to omit!

I have searched and did find some good DIY guides from This Old House and a couple of other sites, but this part is not covered well.

Any help most appreciated - he looked rather crabby when I left for work this morning...

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
sink_dw.jpg

If you are talking about the continuous waste under the sink )plumbing from the sink drains to the wall), I would say yes, replace it. Make sure before you go any further, however, that the kitchen drain is low enough where it comes out of the wall to accomodate the deeper sink. I would recommend replacing with PVC. It is easy to work with, seals well at the slip joints and will not rust. Get a disposer kit or continuous waste and a p-trap. Buy a disposer kit if you are coming horizontally off the disposer without using the elbow. You may need to do this to keep the plumbing high enough. Buy a continuous waste if you are using the disposer elbow. If you didn't get new basket strainers, I would recommend that also.

Deb
The Pipewench

sink-replacement-terrylove-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
new sink

You are never going to have everything line up well when you replace a sink and disposal and faucet. Just know going in that your going to have to make a lot of little adjustments.

Strip it back to the stops and to the trap.

Redo the pvc. and if the supplies are short, replace with longer ones.

Your dad will do just fine. He may make a couple trips some where to pick up parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks