What's next for leaking toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

jtech1

Reaction score
Kohler Memoirs toilet has been losing water in the tank. After it fills to proper line, water level drops about an inch over a few minutes, then it runs, then happens all over again. I thought for sure it was the flapper, so I replaced with a Korky. No change. If I keep my hand in tank and put pressure down on the flapper it STILL loses water. Where the heck else could it be going? Is it time to replace the entire guts of the tank? If so, what is the best stuff I can get for the Kohler Memoirs?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Make sure the fill tube daylights over the overflow tube.
If it's pushed down the overflow, it will siphon from the tank.

fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There may also be a crack in the overflow riser. Turn off the water and wait an hour or more while the tank water settles to a particular level. If it drains down to where the flapper and the flapper seat intersect, then it's probably something with the flapper. If it stops settling at a particular spot above the flapper, check the overflow riser at or around that point (as well as whether the refill hose is stuck in the overflow riser to that point rather than mounted above it). If it stops draining below the flapper, then you probably have a crack in the flush valve below the flapper level.

Sometimes the riser will crack underneath the clip that holds the refill hose in place. Remove it and give the riser a little squeeze and see if it doesn't deform around a crack.

Let us know what it turns out to be.

jtech1

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Excellent suggestions. I will check those out and see what happens. Thanks!

jtech1

Reaction score
That did the trick! The fill tube was down in the overflow tube a couple inches. I found a $2 clip at HD and have it attached above the overflow tube now and all is well! I had not touched this toilet for 5 years since I installed it... I am wondering how the tube got down there... I did not see any broken clip in the tank or tube... do Kohler toilets usually come from the factory with a clip or the fill tube just sitting in the overflow tube?

I appreciate everyone's help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks