(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3-way, dual timer switch wiring

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

keep one thing in mind, location, location, location

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    keep one thing in mind, location, location, location
    As in, it may be quite difficult to impossible to get adequate coverage of the entire stairwell with one sensor and getting multiple ones installed properly can be tricky, not counting most are not really setup for more than one in the circuit. Read the fine print carefully, or contact the manufacturer to see if what you decide on will actually work. There certainly are some that can be in parallel, and some might support more than one sensor head with only a single controller, but you have to look carefully.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Managed to get one to cover the whole area pretty well, wasn't sure if it would or not, but it did. The back door trips sensor when it opens, and lights come on as you step down onto the first step. Anyone know if there's some paint color, or something I could attach to a door, or anything like that which the sensors are more sensitive to? I was thinking that the basement door, which is in line of "sight" of the sensor, had something on it to make it more visible, it would come on as soon as you started opening the door, which would be a little bit better. Currently the door is a dark brown, but I'm not married to that color, would have changed it eventually anyway most likely. If it really doesn't work, might just have to bite the bullet and put in a 2nd sensor, but trying to avoid that route since it seems to be so close to where it should be already.

I'm not using any incandescents, only an LED and 2 florescent fixtures. The Lutron sensor I chose is rated for LEDs. Lutron seems to make fairly decent products, so hopefully the switch will last a good while before needing replacement. With new codes getting stricter in CA (and maybe elsewhere, not sure) so as to require vacancy sensors in habitable rooms, hopefully the sensors coming out these days will be of reasonable quality, but I guess we'll just have to see.

Any thoughts about the outdoor use of CREE LED bulbs? I see from the HD site that they're indoor/outdoor (damp rated). I'd be using 2 A19 bulbs inside fixtures under a covered porch, so def seems fine for that application. The flood lights are also under an overhang,and have the bulb sheilds, so seems like the moisture wouldn't be a problem. Anyone know anything about LEDs holding up in temp swings? I'd always heard they were temperature sensitive in general, will Pittsburgh weather (up to 100k or so in summer, down to a few below zero occasionally in winter) be ok for these? The flood bulbs are still a good bit pricier than the standard A19s, and I need 5 or 6 of them, so would rather not just buy them and take a chance...
    -mike-

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Most of the motion sensors are based in IR (heat), so not much you can do with just a door...you need the quick temperature change which is senses as movement. What you'll find is that once tripped, if you stop and are quite still (say you've fallen, and are unconscious), the lights will just time out. We had them in one classroom I used, and it wouldn't see the instructor, and if the students didn't move, eventually, the lights would go out. Technically, this may mean it does not meet code since there could be a person in the stairway, and the lights could go out. How sensitive it is is adjustable, but make it too sensitive, and air currents through a window might turn it on, whether opened or closed, depending on the sun. The heat source must cross the fields of the sensor's detector, so just a heat source that isn't moving (or cross fields), does not trip it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Electrical Contractor/Instructor jwelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mtcummins View Post
    The back door trips sensor when it opens, and lights come on as you step down onto the first step. so close to where it should be already.
    To repeat those famous words, "Huston we have a problem."

Quote Originally Posted by jwelectric View Post
    To repeat those famous words, "Huston we have a problem."

A have Comm here, our down link is down out of Houston.

What model number did you get ?

I think you will need at least 2.

Good Luck.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net