Multiple lights/switches on single circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jman2012a

Reaction score
Remodeling one level of a split. Gutted area and reconfigured the rooms. As a result, all of this existing wiring has been removed. Going to wire with fresh runs from newer breaker box. Looking for some advice on running wire in an efficient and correct manner on four of the lights. In the pictured diagram, I have four lights and switches labeled as L1, S1, etc…. The lights in the small interior room are for the powder room and will be on a different circuit due to a vent fan and load I wanted to put on the other lights. For the switch boxes, I am using 22.5 cubic inch boxes and for the ceiling fans I am using 21.5 cubic inch boxes (part of a heavy duty ceiling fan mounting system). L1 is an existing outside light that cannot be a junction. L4 is a closet light that can have a large box if needed. The power will come in from with 14 gauge wire where it is labeled “Power Enters Hereâ€. Is it better to have the junctions in the switch boxes or the light fixture boxes? Does it matter to NEC assuming the junction points have capacity to handle the number of wires? Based on my box sizes, is there enough room for the number of wires? Also, what is the best path to run on a single circuit with 14 gauge wire? For the ceiling fans, I am not installing separate switches for the light and fan. They will be controlled by one switch.

Attachments

• Electrical Layout.jpg
    Electrical Layout.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 698

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
post a link to your ceiling fan box

Install the cable just like you would if you were connecting the dots type picture. Include the switch in this connecting the dots and take the switch leg up to the fixture.

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 643
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks