(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: free standing tub - just a rage or here to stay?

Default free standing tub - just a rage or here to stay?

I am remodeling my master bath and one contractor thinks we "need" to put in a free standing air tub instead of replacing the deck tub. Just wondering if this is a fad or something we should invest in. They are beautiful but is it worth the price tag? will it be a drawback 10/15 years from now when we sell the house. I don't want to replace all the tile and then find out that the free standing tub is only a fad. thanks for your opinion.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My mother is 96.
    She grew up with free standing tubs. They were called clawfoot tubs back in the day. It was hard to keep walls clean or paint on the other side. Soon they started boxing in those free standing tubs to make it easier. Then they made tubs that were enclosed on three sides and you could even shower use a curtain on just one side. You didn't need a hoop suspended from the ceiling to hold the curtain.

Will the fad last?
    Good question.

They do look nice.
    A challenge to plumb for though.

quote; Just wondering if this is a fad or something we should invest in.

Fads are hard to predict. 20 years ago Antique Brass was the finish of choice, 10 years ago it was polished brass. Try to find anything if either of these finishes today to repair or replace something.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tubs are on their way out.

Showers are king.

I would skip the freestanding tub and upgrade the shower to a steamer!!! With some fun lighting of course! JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Quote Originally Posted by johnfrwhipple View Post
    Tubs are on their way out.

Showers are king.

I would skip the freestanding tub and upgrade the shower to a steamer!!! With some fun lighting of course! JW
    Haha, an answer with a business reason behind it...

I believe that free standing tubs will be here to stay, but I don't believe that they are worth the price tag.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I went down to look at a new job just three days back in Yale Town. Killer Condo with double bathrooms. I suggested we keep the tub in the guest bathroom and remove it in the master.

As the population ages and the younger one's are moving out. Both sets of demographics are grooving on big showers. I think tubs and the fade of the posh stand alone features is on the way out. Skipping a feature tub you can upgrade your shower drain [ ], your waterproofing and most likely the tile and fixtures as well.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There will always be tub people and shower people. I think my cat prefers showers too. Have you ever tried to give a cat a bath?

http://catncat.com/waterfowl-cat/
    Last edited by Terry; 09-01-2013 at 09:28 AM.

The other thing is the valves that go with those tubs. They tend to be expensive &/or esoteric ones that may be hard to find parts for down the road. Or, they are cheapo imports that look OK on the outside but may be hard to find parts for down the road. Or, they are both.

One thing is certain about all fads. They will change. At one time pastel toilets, tubs, and basins were the rage. Some of us old folks can remember some of the fad clothing styles we wore in our youth, weird hairdos, one and on. Even when fads are recycled, they are revised so that the old won't fit in. What's hip today will be outlandish tomorrow. You have to decide if you are going to try to keep up with the changes or not. If not, then better stay with vanilla.

Default Free Standing Bathtubs

Regarding the questions are free standing bathtubs here stay. My opinion is they are definitely here to stay since they have already been here for hundreds of years that I know of. We have purchase a free standing modern bathtub and a pedestal bathtub from these folks. http://www.bathtubsfactorydirect.com The prices are reasonable and the quality is exceptional as well as the service.

Bottom line answer to your question, it would be safe bet free standing bathtubs will be around for a long time to come. Here is a pic of the tub we purchasedName:  Alexander H-1025 End.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  91.3 KB
    Name:  Alexander H-1025 Ang.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  81.6 KB