What to do with a leaking Mansfield 160

Users who are viewing this thread

Tollerplumbing

Reaction score
I bought a 7 year old house with a Mansfield 160 in the basement. The former owner only used the house occasionally in the summer and I doubt the toilet has been flushed 50 times.

Today I noticed water running every 5 minutes for about 10 seconds and traced it down to the toilet. I played with the flush valve and it stopped leaking, but I doubt it is a permanent fix.
They sell replacement flush valves for $9 and flush valve seals for $2. Do I need a new flush valve, or is the seal likely to be adequate?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Most likely you just need to change the seal on the flush tower. (The least expensive solution, and it's usually all you need.) It's easy to do with the Korky 427BP replacement seal. See my responses 9 and 21 in this thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?50945-Toilet-Never-Stops-Running/ The suggestion made by Redwood that I link to in response number 21 is a little trick for getting the seal on correctly. The guy I was helping tried the trick after not getting the thing to stop running after replacing the seal, and the trick worked perfectly, so all the discussion about new flush valves, etc., was totally unnecessary. All he did was replace the seal, and then use the trick to make it seat properly, and for a couple of bucks he was leak-free.

If you need me to break it down more for you, just ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

(Unlike the guy in that thread, you most likely do NOT need a new fill valve as well.)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks