low producing well with coyote switch questions

Users who are viewing this thread

epeterson2009

Reaction score
Hey all, my name is Eric. I have a 357 ft deep well that produces 1 GPM. I installed a 1 GPM flow restrictor. I have an 80 gallon pressure tank and a 50 gallon bladder tank with a coyote switch pump saver(this was installed when we bought the house). I am inquiring to see if a cycle stop valve system would benefit me in any way to regulate constant pressure and optimize my low producing well? Any comments and suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Low Flow Well by Porky.JPG This is a system that works great however it requires one pump in the well, a large storage tank and another pump and CSV pressure tank or "Pside-kick" to the home. Without the 2 pump/tank system the 1 gpm restrictor limits the flow to the home.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Hi Eric. I would be surprised if the Coyote even works with the 1 GPM Dole valve. I don’t think it is sensitive enough to know the difference between 1 GPM and 0 GPM. That is why we made the Cycle Sensor. It is infinitely adjustable and knows the difference between low flow and no flow.

Also without a storage tank and extra booster pump, the 1 GPM Dole valve will probably leave you standing in the shower with soap in your hair. When the tank(s) run out of water, you only have 1 GPM left to run a 3 GPM shower.

You should have about 1.5 gallons of water stored in the well for every foot of standing water. So if the pump is set at 357’, and your static water level is say 257’, then you have 150 gallons stored in the well. You can use this 150 gallons at 10 GPM rate for 15 minutes, or 5 GPM for 30 minutes, before you ever get down to 1 GPM rate. So I would not use a Dole valve. I would let the pump produce as much as you need, then use a Cycle Sensor to shut it off if you pump too long and use up all the water.

A Cycle Stop Valve like the CSV1A would be better than a Dole Valve. The CSV also infinitely adjust itself to match the amount of water you are using. So if you use 3 GPM for a shower, the CSV would deliver only 3 GPM, and the pump and well would not be cycling on and off. Many times a cycling pump will pump the well dry just filling the pressure tank. When you are finished using water, the CSV will refill the pressure tank at 1 GPM, just like the Dole valve, so you don’t pump the well dry while filling the tank. However, when you are using water, the CSV will let you have as much as you need, so you are not left standing with soap in your hair.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I was typing while Porky was posting. Porky’s system works very well, especially if you do not have much water stored in the well. But if you have more than 100 gallons stored in the well, you can do it without the extra storage tank and booster pump.

epeterson2009

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I have been out of touch for a few days, I am really hoping to stay away from a reservoir system, I appreciate the input and advice, I'm going to think about this one for a bit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks