Toto CST744S#01 Toilet Question

Users who are viewing this thread

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha,
I have been lurking on this site and learned many interesting things and have some questions about a Toto CST744S#01. My existing toilet is an older Kohler 12" RI that was installed in a new building in 1986. It started to leak from the base so I changed the wax (flange is about 7/8" below the floor) and added 3 flange spacers to bring it up a little. I used 2 wax and it worked for a while but now water is seeping out from the front of the base but I don't think it is the wax seal. When I turned over the bowl, I saw something that looks like some sort of caulking on the trap (not sure what it is called) and it looks like factory, so I am thinking that it was some kind of access hole that they patch after the toilet is fired. Is this Possible? Well anyhow I found another problem and it looks like the original rough in is 11" and read some posting from Terry that the CST744 might fit in and I would think so because the Kohler was squeezed in but the tank was touching the back wall. I was thinking about a 10" rough in toilet but it looks like the Toto Drake CST744S#01 might fit in. :From the Manufacturer TOTO C744E-01 This is a combination of Bowl along with ST743S-01 Tank. High profile elongated close coupled toilet with 12-Inch rough-in. Low consumption (6 Lpf/1.6 Gpf) siphon jet flushing action. Tank with lid, fittings, chrome plated trip lever, less seat."
Would this fit in the 11" rough in? Is the ST743S-01 tank a 1.6 gal. tank? What does high profile elongated close coupled mean? And lastly, it says (Shape open-front) what does this mean?

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think all the references to the online source of the toilet have kept some participants away; we don't usually talk about online sources here, but I'm happy to answer your questions.

Usually, we recommend flange spacers under the flange not the ones that go over, unless you really caulk the heck out of the spaces in-between, and usually not even then. Better off with double wax rings in that case, or double sani-seals, etc.

Are you measuring the rough-in to the finished wall, not the baseboard? If so, and you really have a full 11", the toilet you reference SHOULD just fit, because there is usually 1-1/8" behind it when installed on exactly 12". However, if your wall isn't exactly vertical and thus it's a little less than 11", it might not go. It's a risk you can take, and probably succeed, but we're talking eighths of an inch. You do have the ability to "cheat" the toilet a smidge forward when installing it, so that might help get it in if it doesn't on the 11-ish inches.

CST744S#01 (the -01 is the color: cotton white) and CST744E#01 each use the same bowl, and the tank is only different in that it has different internals, so, yes, either one would normally fit if you have a full 11 inches.

Yes, the ST743S tank is 1.6gpf. The ST743E tank is 1.28gpf. The CST744S is made up of the C744E bowl and the ST743S tank. The CST744E is made up of the C744E bowl and the ST743E tank. No reason to buy them separately; just get the CST744S or CST744E, depending upon whether you want the 1.28gpf or the 1.6gpf toilet.

Elongated means that the bowl is oval shaped. It's what you want, unless you have some physical obstruction in the room that requires a shorter (round) bowl.

No idea what they mean by "high profile". It's irrelevant, sort of. The CST744S is not a "universal height" or "ADA height" toilet. It is standard height. The CST744SL is the model you want if you want "ADA height".

Close coupled means that the tank sits on the bowl, rather than being mounted on the wall and connected to the bowl with a pipe. All modern two-piece toilets are close-coupled, so it's sort of a useless description.

Open-front is usually something that relates to the seat. An open front seat is like the seats you see in a public lavatory where the part that you would drip pee on is missing; it's more like an upside-down U shape than an O shape. But you buy your own seat for this toilet. It will take any standard manufacturer's seat. The Toto SS114 is a very nice heavy plastic seat, but you can use your old seat or get a Church/Bemis/Mayfair, etc. seat as well.

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha wjcandee,
Thanks for the reply and sorry about posting the online source, wasn't thinking. LOL Yes, the rough in is measured from the finished wall to the closet bolts so it looks like it will work. I don't understand how you would place the spacers under the flange if the flange is 7/8"-1" below the floor? What kind of spacers are these? Anyway, first I tried what some did on another forum by using a pvc primer and pvc glue. That didn't work because it wouldn't create a bond between the spacers (probably not pvc material) so I applied bowl wax between the spacers and maybe I should have used some shoe goo instead. Just out of curiosity, does the unifit require a bowl wax on the toilet horn?

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flange is low, use two wax rings.

You can stack wafers, but if they don't seal, it's a mess!

The C744E bowl does not use the unifit adapter.
Stack the wax rings on the floor flange, and then drop the bowl down on that.

hawaii_terry_sue_outrigger.jpg

July 2013

Last edited:

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha Terry,
Thanks for the reply and this is a great site and will recommend it to my family and friends. Your hair looks different (or is that a coconut tree in the background), must be the Hawaiian sun, LOL. That must be your beautiful wife and I hope that you all had a great time here and will visit again.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Aloha Doogdoog,
A palm tree? And all this time I thought it was the wind blowing. I enlarged the picture and sure enough there was a palm tree behind my head. I photoshopped the tree out.
We had a great time there. My daughter got married there this July. And we had fun at the Shorebird.

hawaii_2524.jpg

hawaii_2570.jpg

Last edited:

Hardt

Reaction score
Aloha Terry! Great pictures and beautiful new family! It appears that your daughter married a kama'aina (long-time resident). He is even wearing rubber zoris ( flip-flops)!! :) Congrats!

doogdoog

Reaction score
Aloha Terry,
Congratulations and they make a sweet couple. It is soooo hot and humid today and that water sure looks good.

Mahalo,
doogdoog

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We spent a lot of time on boogie boards there. One of the girls go stung by a Man of War toward the end of one afternoon. But she went right back in the next day.
We were there the night they were filming the new King Kong movie. It was right across the street from the Outrigger Reef. Maybe up and over where they have more shopping.
I do love Hawaii.

Mahalo,
Terry

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks