(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: hot water recirculation pump connection to tank

Default hot water recirculation pump connection to tank

HI, I installed a loop hot water PEX system with three remote manifolds. As the hot water loop ends at the base of the hot water tank, it is met with a Grundfos UP-10 pump that I have fed into a check valve (correct direction) that is fed into the tank drain outlet.

It works fine 95% of the time. Every now and then we get barely warm water when using solely hot tap water. The tank outlet is hot, the fitting at the recirc pump is hot, but the check valve itself is not hot, but warm. Then, all of a sudden it is hot water coming out.

It is a swing check valve. Could it be bad already? Could some gunk from the aluminum decomposition (anode rod) be causing it to not open or stay open, thus allowing cooler water to back flow into the loop?

Is there a better way to get the recirculated water back into the tank?

Thanks,

we cannot tell you the condition of the check valve, but it it varies from real hot to cool, then the consensus would be that it is bad.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I took it apart today and the swing check valve swung... I guess it works fine. I found more of that jelly gunk and feel that may have had something to do with the valve being held open a bit.. I also increased the temp on the recirc pump so it works more often. I replaced the aluminum anode as I read the water softener tends to corrode those faster and make nasty jelly at the bottom of the tank. I flushed it for a while. I used a tee and put a slight downward angle on the check valve to use gravity to keep it closed if the recirc pump is not on.

Hopefully, it will work better. I will let you know. I used a combination alloy anode instead of another plain aluminum.