Question about adding a new sink to my basement using existing line.

Users who are viewing this thread

ddaniels

Reaction score
Rookie question.

I have a 1 1/2inch drain line that drains my kitchen sink on the main level of my house and runs through the basement into the ground. I need to know if I can add a bar sink to the exisitng drain. I have attached a photo to show my situation.
Please let me know if this is possible or if you have any other suggestions.
. Untitled.jpg.

Thanks.

Darren

Ottawa97tj

Reaction score
Hang in there a pro will confirm soon but from what I understand you can't do it the vent would have to be above the highest fixture in the line, if nothing is above the kitchen sink then the vent would have to tie in there

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
To do it right you would have to increase the drain size to 2" to the point the bar sink connects and properly vent the bar sink. An AAV may be allowed in our jurisdiction.

Asktom

Reaction score
An AAV won't protect against positive pressure (that air being pushed down from the sink above).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Connecting the vent back to the drain line WOULD work, but it would also be illegal. It has to tie in at a point above the sink on the upper level. Positive pressure is positive pressure whether the drain is 1 1/2", 2", OR 3".

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Connecting the vent back to the drain line WOULD work, but it would also be illegal.

If it were to be added to the waste stack, it would need to be done is such a way that no waste comes down the vent portion. It would need to be treated like an island fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks