Pipe Size Question - PEX to Galvanized

Users who are viewing this thread

jgold47

Reaction score
House was built in the 20's. Piping going to second floor bathroom (shower/toilet/sink) is galvanized. At some point before we bought the house, most of the basement feed lines were re-plumbed using PEX and crimp rings.

My question is twofold...

Most of the supply lines are 3/4", dropping to 1/2 inch to feed the kitchen, first floor bath, hose bibs, etc... for some reason, they also dropped to 1/2" to feed the 2nd floor lav, dropping to 1/2" and connecting to 3/4" galvanized heading up stairs.

Question 1. Is there any reason to downsize the supply to 2nd floor lav? Or was the installer just sloppy? Would upsizing to 3/4" make a difference? The water pressure is ok, not great, and cant use more than one item at a time.

Question 2. How do you switch out PEX like this? Can the rings be removed preserving the pipe, or am I looking at having to replace entire sections? I've never worked with PEX, so I would have to invest in all of the tools, but I also don't know any of the rules for working with it.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
https://terrylove.com/watersize.htm

Normally you can run two plumbing fixtures on 1/2"
A bathroom set would need 3/4" on the cold and 1/2" for the hot.

pipe_size_2.jpg

pipe_size_1.jpg

Last edited:

Cody Smith

Reaction score
Is there a difference between Rifeng PEX and others? I've found better prices on Rifeng, but I don't want to get involved with 'cheap' lines. I've found some prices here if you're not familiar.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks