Toilet water filling tank issue

Users who are viewing this thread

wikid321

Reaction score
SO my toilet fills itself up after flush. However if you walk up to it u kinda hear this sound of a dripping leak. Theres nothing leaking outside the toilet but every so often it fills itself back up. I hope that just made sense. Ive replaced the inside guys from the cap that covers the fill up hole to toilet itself and the balloon (if correct terminology) that stops water from filling when done. I know there is i think a rubber or some sort of heavy duty gasket between back tank and toilet. Think thats my issue?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the valve itself is leaking, water would be rising (maybe quite slowly) until it goes down the overflow tube. If it never makes it that far, it's because water is leaking into the bowl, and that could be the flapper valve or its seat (there could be some buildup on the seat and it can't seal. Rarely does the gasket that holds the flapper assembly in place fail, but the nut (usually only on a new one) might be a little loose.

So, after sitting for awhile, and you hear the drip, look at the water level. If it is high, the valve itself, not just the float, needs replacement. Depending on the design, it may take a more modern valve and a Korky Quietfill, or a Fluidmaster valve would work. If that doesn't happen, shut the water supply off and leave it for a few hours and see if the level drops. If it does, then it's the flapper valve or its seat. Note, if your flapper came with a ring AND tabs, you only can use one OR the other, not both...if you tube has tabs, cut the ring out. Using both can distort the flapper, and it won't seal. Also, depending on how it was stored, some flapper valves may have become distorted, and won't seal, either. It's also possible, you just got the wrong one, or the chain is too tight or loose (loose, it can get caught underneath).

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are losing water into the bowl, and when the water level in the tank drops to a certain level, the fill valve kicks in.
Try a new flapper first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks