Moving toilet 1-2 inches

Users who are viewing this thread

Nlminio

Reaction score
I have a toilet installed and I just put up the bathroom door and realized that the door is just shy of clearing the toilet by about an inch. Is there any way to simple move te toilet over a little bit so the door will clear?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, no. It may not be hard, but it would involve either access from below or tearing out part of the floor to move the drain pipe. A design consideration might be to replace the door with a pocket door, then there's no swing to deal with. Or, a surface sliding door.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Swinging doors are a real space waster in a small bathroom. I faced this problem many years ago and solved it with a pocket door. When I added a bathroom in my basement, I did not want to use much space and it was a pocket door to the rescue again. This would be a very wise alternative to moving the drain.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is there space behind the bowl now that can be used?
If so, then you may be able to move the drain.

If you have a 4" drain, then you can fudge it back some.
Though it may be easier to find a shorter in length toilet too if you have to move the entire drain.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the toilet elongated by any chance?

If it is, consider changing it to a round toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks