Separating Ground & Neutrals to Create Subpanel

Users who are viewing this thread

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What you and I do at home in a power outage is not the issue...

What others request and are willing to pay money for.....is what I am speaking about...

What about Essential services.......Like Police....Fire....Emergency...Health care providers.....Hospitals...

They ALL have backup power with automatic transfer switches.......Some have redundant systems

We have clients that spend thousands and thousands of dollars so they are never without power and they are data centers....

After Hurricane Sandy they were so paranoid about possibly losing power in another possible storm they went on generator power before the storm and had us put men on site 24/7 until well after the storm......They even have backup machines in place to backup their backup!!! We have one in our yard now for one of those companies.....they have no room so we have it.....500KW unit on a trailer.....just for them incase their regular unit were to fail.....

Money talks......

So why should a homeowner not have the option of having the same capability....They do and if they are willing to spend the money for a proper install it gets done....

I worked on 3 phase switchgear but would not think of using it on my Home.

Or a Changeover that I have no control over, unless I am home when "It tries to start". What happens if it does not start ?

You still have nothing, and it can Pop electronics in your home. Seen electronics on oil rigs that fried because the Gen would not Gen. It can cost Millions of dollars when that happens.

Even Natural Gas may not be available.

You are correct Money talks, and fools fall for BS. I am not sold.

Like I said people are getting lazy.

As long as the Beer stays cold you should be good. Just buy or make Ice.

Last edited:

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here-in lies the truth of the matter. The big problem is most don't know how to do a proper install

JW......We do not do installs anymore....All home units are done by contractors who use licensed electricians and plumbers with permits and inspections. Or by some electrical contractors who are licensed. I know of very few problems with any of these installs but truthfully we have seen many improper things passed. We come across things all the time especially in the area of fuel lines and plumbing. The electrical end not so much.

Rich B

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I worked on 3 phase switchgear but would not think of using it on my Home.

Well the average homeowner does not have 3 phase power and it is not all that much different than single phase anyway...So whats the big deal...

Or a Changeover that I have no control over, unless I am home when "It tries to start". What happens if it does not start ?
You still have nothing.

When power fails the only way a Transfer switch can operate is when your generator starts and makes AC power to energize the switch...
If it doesn't start.....you failed to properly maintain your generator....and modern ATS equipment is mostly PC boards and an operator. Not many relays and timers like the old stuff.....and are not electrically held....like the old stuff that lasted for years and years anyway...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks