Sizing a Water Softener for growth

Users who are viewing this thread

gak22

Reaction score
First off, new to posting to these forums, but have been reading avidly for some months :eek: Excellent information here and a humorous community. I'm posting here now since after much searching and reading I haven't yet found the answer to my particular question.

I am replacing my water softener. We are on well, with 19 gpg hardness, 310 TDS, no iron, and I am hoping to size the new softener correctly for our growing family so that it meets our needs not only today but also in 10 years. Currently 2 adults and 2 toddlers. Current calculations: 175gal/day * 19gpg = 3325grains/day => 26600 grains capacity. Based on that and with an eye towards salt efficiency, I'm thinking I'd size a 1.5 cu ft system that could handle my estimate of ~8-9gpm SFR.

However, if I fast-forward 10 years, I'll expect these numbers: 450gal/day*19gpg = 8550 grains/day => 68400 grains capacity. Based on that, thinking I'd size a 2.5 cu ft system that could handle something more like ~10-11gpm SFR (teenagers take more and longer showers).

I'm looking primarily at Fleck 5600 SXT, 7000 SXT or possibly an Autotrol valve. I'm expecting any of those choices, properly maintained, to last at least 10 years. Given all the above, what downsides would there be for me to go with the 2.5 cu ft system now? (outside of the cost for the larger units). One I've read about is channeling - would this be a probable issue in my application?

Or, more generally, what would be your advice given my situation?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Keep it simple, get the 2.5 Cu. Ft. 7000SXT. A 13" tank will have little problem with channelling. We rarely see any problems residentially until after we get past 14" Diameter tanks, that is the max we usually recommend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks