Drain Configuration for 2 sinks

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob

Reaction score
I have a question about the proper configuration for connecting 2 sinks to a single 2" waste line. I'm planning on using two seperate P-Traps with each line being connected to the Y using a 45 degree elbow, after a short horizontal run. Is there any criticality about where the lines connect to Y in relationship to the height of the P-trap? For instance, should the connection be made x inches below the trap or x inches above the trap or does it matter? Both sinks are being vented by a 1.5" line which connects to the top of the Y. The bottom of the Y connects to the 2" waste line.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Y

If the "Y" is in the vertical pipe then it is the wrong fitting for that location. If it is in a horizontal orientation connecting to a tee in the wall then the traps connect at the same elevation plus the necessary pitch.

Rob

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The Y fitting would be in the vertical direction, so its the wrong fitting. So do I want to use a waste cross fitting or is other configuration more desirable?

Thanks for the Help
Rob

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

You do not want to use a "sanitary" cross, rather it is a "double fixture fitting" sometimes referred to as a "figure 1" fitting although that terminology is not used everywhere, (to your eye it may seem to be the same as a sanitary cross, but it is different and designed just for that application).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks